Auction Finds

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by TerryM76, Feb 24, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 24, 2019 #1

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Our annual spring auction by Starmann Bros was this weekend. I always attend and was there on Friday and Saturday procuring items for our school as well as picking a few items for myself.

For some insane reason I bid on a Ranger L440 engine and won the bid. Now I have that engine and a bunch of things for our school waiting in the back of my pick-up for delivery to the school on Monday. I will keep the engine at school for a while until I get it cleaned up and fabricate a suitable stand for it. I'll take it home someday and display it proudly on the back patio or wherever I can get away with. There are no accessories so I will slowly try to procure these items and maybe figure out a way to at least have mock-ups through 3D printing. That will give me more reasons to acquire a printer. There were people asking me what I was going to do with the Ranger and I even had offers to buy it if I decide to sell. Anyone know where I can get some old Ranger parts?

I discovered that my kind of insanity is not limited to just myself. I talked to a retired lady from the El Mirage area after she won bids on two 1820 radial engines that were more scrap than engines. She is having those hauled back to CA and dumped in a 15 acre field were she is filling it with similar artifacts. She said it can be seen on Google Earth. Another like-minded fellow acquired 3 Taylorcraft bare fuselages and since I had already sinned in getting my Ranger I declined from bidding on those. I helped him load the fuselages on his minuscule trailer that he as pulling behind his sport utility vehicle/car. There wasn't room on his trailer for the 3rd and we placed that on the rack on top of his car. He and his wife were heading back to Minnesota today or tomorrow with their rolling jungle gym. The wife looked pretty unhappy as she was helping her husband load their treasures into the limited space that was available. I had my 16 foot, tandem axle trailer ready but I didn't take it to the auction so I could avoid any marital awkwardness.

My wife thinks the Ranger is for our school......so don't tell her the real story.

Terry

fly2kads and bmcj like this.
  2. Feb 24, 2019 #2

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Is that the Ranger from the PT-19?

3. Feb 24, 2019 #3

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

I need to get all the info from data plate and research the different applications. I did notice a small Navy stamp in upper right corner of data plate.

4. Feb 24, 2019 #4

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

I remember 2 different Rangers, 440 and 660 I think. Small one was popular with the scale Mustang crowd and the big one was used in a Bell mini fighter.

5. Feb 24, 2019 #5

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Big Ranger was a 770. My mistake.

6. Feb 24, 2019 #6

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

A friend of mine just got a 770 which I believe will be the basis of a desk. I also used to know of one bolted to the front end of a Jurca full-scale Spitfire project but it got sold and I have no idea where any of it ended up.

7. Feb 24, 2019 #7

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

The big scale Mustang (9\10's?) at OSH years ago had a 770.

8. Feb 25, 2019 #8

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

Somebody at Santa Paula airport has a 770 in a car. It is installed with the heads on top.

9. Feb 25, 2019 #9

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Ranger inverted, air-cooled, V 770 was used on a variety of WW2-vintage single-seat prototypes, but it was mainly produced for the 175 Fairchild AT-21, twin-engines trainers. AT-21s only served briefly, because sufficient B-25s were available to train bomber crews by late War.
    After the war, all the AT-21s were cut up for scrap.

10. Feb 26, 2019 #10

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Also used on the Curtis SOC3 Seagull/Seamew

11. Feb 26, 2019 #11

TFF

TFF

TFF

There is an AT-21 being reconstructed. Project for sure.

12. Feb 26, 2019 #12

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Is the AT-21 project the one that was in Mineral Wells, Texas ?

13. Feb 26, 2019 #13

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

42-48053 was not at Mineral Wells as far as the records show. It came out of Saginaw, Tx., in the late ‘70’s. It was held by the Southwest Aerospace Museum for eventual static restoration. When circumstances forced the museum into merger talks, the new organization made it known that the AT and several other aircraft would not be retained. SAM’s operating board made the decesion to sell the project prior to the merger.

I obtained it in 1987 or so, and have had it in storage since. I’ve also been collecting documentation, including manuals and a complete set of drawings for it. I’ve also managed to chase down an almost complete set of radios and oxygen system for it, along with some oddball electrical items. I’m currently hunting a few more electrical items and the necessary parts for the .30 cal nose gun. I’m hoping to get back onto actually fabricating parts for it later this year. I need enough pace for a 54’ spar table and 28’ of welding table for some of the bigger items.

Her operationl life was short, but concentrated at both Tinker AAF and mostly Ellington AAF in Houston.

Mad MAC, Tiger Tim and TerryM76 like this.
  14. Feb 26, 2019 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

That’s a big project. What do you intend to do with it when finished?

BJC

15. Feb 26, 2019 #15

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Why, fly it of course! :gig::ban::roll:

Will do a few fly ins and then probably make arrangements for it to be preserved in a museum, as it's so rare and oddball.

BJC likes this.
  16. Feb 27, 2019 #16

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

This is probably the plane I was thinking of, I corresponded with someone rebuilding a AT-21 in Texas about 15-20 years ago, I'm not sure why I thought the project was located in the Mineral Wells area.

17. Feb 27, 2019 #17

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Had to have been me Bill. I have a place in Weatherford, and was living out there from 2002 until 2009. Unfortunately, a lot of my correspondence from that time was lost due to water damage.

18. Feb 27, 2019 #18

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

In case somebody is looking for something to do with a 770 and a couple inline sixes (I'd go with Rangers though the original had Menascos on the wings):
    [​IMG]