Quantcast

Attachment details for pre-sewn coverings, UVPT/Technora/Hydranet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mavigogun

Hang glider manufacturers employ pre-sewn coverings of Dacron, UVPT/Technora/Hydranet, etc, held in place with pockets, straps, screwed grommets. A few conventional aircraft also employ finished-removable coverings, such as the BushCat. I’m looking for details of attachments for such coverings, including novel tensioning devices, transitions to ridged coverings/fairings/canopies.

Thus far, references include hang gliders featuring velcro, cords, cammed levers, screws, cords, straps, pockets, and zippers. I’m particularly concerned with transitioning from leading edge d-cells and the like, and around fixed portions of canopies. Any insight will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Mavigogun

Pictured here is a riveted dog-toothed strip employed to receive and space stitching connecting trilam around the BushCat cockpit:

BushCat sail to tubing dog tooth weave.JPG

Here, the elevator sail is slipped over the frame and laced tight:

BushCat laced elevators.JPG

Mavigogun

Pictured here are rib-end levers inserted into a wing trailing edge that act to secure and tension the sail on the Impact hang glider:Impact trailing edge tension.JPG

Same aircraft, a lever used to tension the aileron covering:
impact aileron sail tensioner.JPG

...and here, the aileron and wing trailing edge together with levers in place:
impact aeleron hinge detial.jpg

A view of the scheme from inside the sail:
Impact in wing view.jpg

Here we see ribs Velcroed in place on the aileron spar, allowing them to swing into tension within the sail:
impact aileron rib velcro attachment.JPGimpact aileron elements.JPG

Lastly, root anchor hardware fitting over studs, attached to the sail by straps:
Impact sail attachment to rear kiel.JPG

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
I'm interested in this covering technology. The Bushcat is the only LSA I know of using it. If you find more info, I'd be interested in hearing more.

REVAN

Likewise- post illustrations of what you discover here.
Indeed. I think there are many of us interested in this subject. From the replies, it appears there are many more people looking for information and details than there are people who have the information to offer.

REVAN

@Mavigogun - Did you see what Bushcat is doing regarding the laces and holes in the fabric? Do they just melt holes with a soldering iron in the tri-lam for the laces, or is there some form of reinforcement added to keep the tri-lam from tearing out? I can't see these details in the photos you posted.

Mavigogun

Did you see what Bushcat is doing regarding the laces and holes in the fabric? Do they just melt holes with a soldering iron in the tri-lam for the laces, or is there some form of reinforcement added to keep the tri-lam from tearing out?
In most cases- at control surfaces edges -they are just melted, as I recall. I slowed down this video, I think, for taking stills from- you’ll want to mute it: