• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Attach wood to aluminum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwood66889

Found some aluminum at the local scrap dealer - good price! At least what I could drop from what was in the wallet.
So my question is how to extend longerons (of an airframe to be covered with cloth) by putting wood on the end? My thinking:
* Aluminum front for crash resistance
* Wood on the back for lightness/cost/whatever
* All materials "Available In Town" to save freight
* And cheaply, so I can "build one to throw away."
The aluminum extrusion has an "C" channel like area that the wood would go into. It would be epoxied in. Questions:
?=Should bolts be used, or would they tear out faster than the strength they add?
?=How much overlap (wood inside the aluminum)?
?=Where to join them? Closer to front? Back?
Thanking you all in advance!
Percy in NM, USA

Back