• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aspect Ratio - Wing vs H.S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Running through the books again and found a little nugget that caught my eye. Higher AR surfaces stall at a lower AoA than low AR surfaces - therefore, you want your HS to be a lower AR than the wing. Makes sense. You don't want the HS to payoff in the flare like the early Cardinals did. So, is there a rule of thumb for the relationship between the wing and stab, or do both surfaces need to be analyzed independently?

I bring this up because the Lancair Evolution has a constant chord stab of fairly high AR. This is appealing to me from a construction standpoint because I can make one mold which will work for left/right/top/bottom skins.

Back