• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ascent Variometer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
My MicroTim digital altimeter finally died after several years. I decided to replace it with an Ascent variometer. The little variometer is definitely two steps up. It displays altitude and vertical speed simultaneously with large digits, updating both every second. So it's like having 2 (or 3) instruments in one. You can choose to display either MSL or AGL altitude. I like the way the AGL altitude is self-zeroing, so you don't have to adjust the altitude every flight.

You can also display various other information at the touch of one button in flight: Temperature; the other altitude (MSL or AGL); time; flight duration; etc. The flight duration is handy for judging fuel remaining. The instrument automatically recognizes the beginning of each flight when there's an altitude change. It even records flight data for later recall or download, and has various settings and modes. I don't use its audible vertical speed beeps in my noisy cockpit.

The variometer is designed to be worn like a wristwatch, but can be mounted or strapped anywhere. The 4 buttons are large enough to work with gloves, and intuitive in function. The display is like a computer monitor with lots of pixels for excellent resolution. It uses a rechargeable cell phone type battery. I found a place on-line that sells it for just $275 with free shipping. I love it. It's kinda the next generation for miniature variometers.
ascent :: reach for the sky

Attachments

• AscentVario.jpg
    AscentVario.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,029
Back