As/95

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ar95builder

Hello, I am building an aw/95 and would like to be pointed in the right direction for some help with some parts. I have a pretty good shop in my hobby room including cnc mill, lathe and some other equipment. I have built a kj66 so far and some other things. I have been putting the aw off for years and it’s finally time. But some parts are hard to understand in the plans. Are there any build threads you guys know about? And why is the swash bearing sooo expensive??!!!! Cheapest I’ve found is $200! Up to $1500.00!!!! It’s just a bearing! I even looked up the specs and materials used, nothing spectacular! Is it bc it’s only used in aviation? And everything aviation is sky high?!
Anyway, thank you very much for any help and I look forward to using this forum and getting to know everyone

TFF

I have never seen the plans, but helicopters are all machinist. No more complicated than live steam. Anything off the shelf built for it, will not be cheap. It will be interesting.

Ar95builder

It’s a kp49b which has dimensions of 3.0630" X 4.0000" X 0.5310"

Thank you in advance and thank you both for your responses. I love planes and helicopters both but I have grown to like helis more because of their complexity and ingenuity. I love all mechanical things and how they work, it just fascinated me.

Ar95builder

Quick question for the main shaft… can you get any 4130 steel tubing 1.5” od and .25” wall? Or does it have to be special made for straightness you think? I know the main shaft on an rc heli the slightest bend would cause mayhem…

D Hillberg

A bent shaft is a no brainer - Balance as a unit - Did it with many helicopters
It's nice to have a straight one to begin with though.
How long is your main rotor shaft? I have a few cut up fly bars from a Huey.

nzdave

the guy that runs redback aviation in australia has a fair bit of info on the AW95...might be worth a contact :)

D Hillberg

Aircraft Spruce for raw stock (1)
Speedway Motor catalogs (all four. Miget, Sprint, Stock car and Dragster) Main gearboxes hardware
Curtis Gear for small gearboxes
Used these for the Jet Exec designs
attachment.jpg

Countach1596

I have built an AW. Believe I purchase the main shaft from Shapiro Metals in St. Louis. Fyi the rotor grip arms are off if you follow the blueprints. Recommend drawing in CAD the entire plan view of head.

Ar95builder

Thank you for all of the info everyone. That will be very helpful. Countach, that is a little scary what you said. And I suck at cad… what is off? Can I just work around it? I’m making all my parts by hand with my mill and lathe. But I am not very good with cad. I tried freecad but I hardly know what I’m doing…

Ar95builder

So that would mean the head they sell is off as well? Since I’m assuming they go by their own plans…

Countach1596

Another guy and myself make the head components on Vortechs website. I will look at my drawings for what incorrect, it has been many years since I drew them.

Ar95builder

Ok, so I’ve given up waiting for that answer but I have one quick question about welding. I’m about ready to weld the middle 1.5” 4130 pipe to the underside of the landing skids. It’s crazy how they show it, welding two pipes together perpendicular outer wall to outer wall. Does this seem reliable? Should I make any filler wells in the pipe at all or would that ruin the integrity of the pipe? Very curious weld to me…

Thanks men

TFF

Not quite sure of the problem without seeing plans, but is it a standard fish mouth T cluster?

Ar95builder

It’s a normal weld I found out… I did it and it looks good. Thanks. I’m trying to get signed up to the other forum for helis but the administrator has been asleep for the past couple of months. No email and I’m stuck waiting for someone to accept me. I know that is where I belong with homebuilt helicopter inquiries