Article about General Aviation

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
If you Americans allow ATC to be "privatised" like European ATC has become, then watch GA costs soar. You might think it's expensive now but you ain't seen nothing yet. When you see small,basic microlights with transponders and expensive 8.33 Khz radios,that cost more than the aircraft itself, you know something is wrong. Flight training is far too expensive in Europe, for what it is and student starts for GA aircraft have essentially fallen flat and are mostly young people who want to become airline pilots.

cblink.007

If you Americans allow ATC to be "privatised" like European ATC has become, then watch GA costs soar. You might think it's expensive now but you ain't seen nothing yet. When you see small,basic microlights with transponders and expensive 8.33 Khz radios,that cost more than the aircraft itself, you know something is wrong. Flight training is far too expensive in Europe, for what it is and student starts for GA aircraft have essentially fallen flat and are mostly young people who want to become airline pilots.
Agreed 100%. Spent 3 years in Germany, and did a healthy amount of GA flying while there. Briefing and flight plan filing fees, landing fees, approach fees, airway usage fees, name it. Fuel was also beyond prohibitively expensive. Now that airline pilots are out of work, the incentive for some to learn to fly is evaporating. No bueno!

4redwings

Don't get me started on control law architecture. What I learned during grad school and USNTPS completely turned me off to Airbus aircraft. Here is what happens when FBW AFCS software is written such that the AFCS has the final say over the pilot...and a flaw exists in the system...

At least in my Osprey (Bell-Boeing), we have the final say....to include the Max 8 (another topic for later)
I know this is a tangent from the original thread but I must humbly disagree. I have a lot of time in Boeings and Airbuses and a couple of years in the F-16. I don't think there was a flaw in the system. "Airshow" should end the story but there are plenty of legitimate (non-conspiracy theory) sources out there that show quite clearly that he flew into rising terrain with the engines unspooled at near max alpha. One of the great things about the Airbus (and the F-16) is that full back stick gives you max G or max Alpha. Pretty awesome. More alpha wasn't going to solve his problem. The Asiana 214 777 hit the seawall in a similar state. IMHO, Boeing has a whole other set of problems. Considering that all the control feedback is simulated, why generate feedback forces that require full strength (and for some pilots-more) to overcome. When I quite easily pull back the stick on an Airbus or F-16, I get it all.

cblink.007

"Airshow" should end the story but there are plenty of legitimate (non-conspiracy theory) sources out there that show quite clearly that he flew into rising terrain with the engines unspooled at near max alpha.
Agreed. I know there were other factors involved, but was stating but one example. Boeings aren't perfect either. 4 close acquaintances of mine bought the farm in the Osprey in 2000 due to a combination of hardware, human and software error (bad line code that was fixed), and I personally almost became a statistic back in the same airframe in 2004 when we had a triple FCC failure. Again, software issue. We have come a long way...but still have a long way to go before complete pilot elimination enters the picture. Of my friends that operate Airbuses, they all swear by them. Perhaps a case of brand loyalty on my part!

Also, jealous you flew F-16s; I only have a small amount of time in T-38s and F-18s from TPS!