• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Artex ELT 345 GPS input?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13brv3

Supporting Member
Greetings,

I installed an ELT 345, and I'm finally to the point of testing it. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention when I got it to notice that the default programming for the unit is "9600 baud Aviation protocol navigation data". I guess you can get them programmed (or maybe reprogrammed) for 4800 baud NMEA, but I'm hoping to figure out a way to make this work. Naturally, my only GPS options in the plane are NMEA. Here is what the manual says can be used:

H. RS-232 Acceptable Nav Data
1) NMEA 0183 baud rate is 4800.
2) Aviation protocol baud rate is 9600.
3) Programing of the ELT 345 will determine the input of 4800 baud NMEA navigation data or 9600 baud Aviation protocol navigation data.
4) The ELT 345 will parse GGA, GLL and RMC simultaneously. Output configurations that write GGA, GLL or RMC sentences at 4800 baud as specified in NMEA 0183 will be suitable.
5) GPGGA is recommended if available.

Naturally I've requested assistance from Artex, and the avionics shop where I purchased the unit, but so far no response from either. I'm sure the unit can be reprogrammed, but from what I've read, that will require a trip back to the factory, and a hefty fee.

My main question is "what is Aviation protocol"? I can't find anything that tells me what this is, or where you get it. I thought maybe AIRINC, but that doesn't seem to be RS-232. Now I'm thinking maybe Garmin's proprietary protocol, which might explain why I can't find much on it. I'd love to find a standalone GPS unit that can output whatever will make the ELT 345 happy, but so far I'm still at step one of figuring out what that might be. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Rusty

Back