• I hold a pilots license and I am building / built an aircraft

Votes: 48 66.7%
  • I hold a pilots license, but have not built a plane yet

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • I just enjoy discussing home building practices or theory

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Battson

It would be interesting to see what the breakdown of the people who participate on this forum is like, so I thought I'd try set up a poll. Hope I did this right!

Last edited:

Himat

I just enjoy discussing home building practices and theory.
One day the modell airplane I build might be big enough to have a seat.

TFF

I voted but I dont fit quite right. No pilots license finished, but I have soloed in airplanes and helicopters with about 400 hours logged and 200+ unlogged and I am restoring/ repairing a Starduster 1 for personal consumption. I do help, or hinder :), others with their homebuilts as I am an A&P IA who just likes airplanes.

thump

How about people that build and fly ultralights that don't have a pilots license.( I feel left out:cry:)

Battson

How about people that build and fly ultralights that don't have a pilots license.( I feel left out:cry:)
Sorry I forgot you lads over there can fly without any licenses! But I can't seem to edit the poll itself....??

ultralajt

Did not find proper answer for myself from options given in the Poll.
I am everything and more, but not all of them at the same moment! :)

First was just an observer and aviation enthusiast (going with father to local aeroclub..and taken on board for some ride..)
then
I was a theory consumer (reading all literature I could get from my father, and later from the libraries)
I was a free flight and U control models builder
I was a Hang Glider builder and flyer..build Rogallo kite and later own designed HG.
I design and build minimal Power pod for Hang Glider
I design and build two paragliders
I was partially involved in new designs of ParaGliders
I was Ultralight aeroplane Student (Storch..didnt finished licence)
I design and build Hang Glider Trike from composite
I was a Sailplane pilot (Blanik L-13, Pilatus B4)
I was Hang Glider and ParaGlider pilot
I was involved in RC model design, build and flying (and still am)
I am designing Ultra Light Footlaunchable sailplane
I still learning aerodynamic and structural design from various sources.. Internet and my rich archieve of books...

I enjoy participating in aeronautical discussions in order to learn some new things, and when possible, to give some of my experiences, views, remarks and suggestions...

Hopefully in near future, I will be able to finish all at this moment open projects...

Mitja

Tony

I did it backwards.....Went out purchased an airplane...Then took flight lessons...
At this time in my life not able to build so I look to those whom build and sell. I have found a few whom build for the love of building. They did not jack the price up but sold them for what they had in them.

pittsdriver

I'm both. I have been restoring (SNJ, TBM3 and CJ6) and homebuilding (RV7, Backcountry Super Cub, Glasstar, Hornet and a few others I helped on) for over 30 years. I am finishing another RV7 and will be doing the fabric and firewall forward on another Backcountry Cub. I do get in over 100hrs a year flying and get to fly a few cool airplanes. Don

Wrongway John

I didn't vote, because no category for me either. But I’m a pilot who bought an existing experimental already built. You’ll find there are a lot in this category, particularly with Van’s aircraft.

Battson

So you hold a pilots license, but have not built a plane yet? Sorry I don't mean to exclude people, I guess my thinking was focused around homebuilding more than general flying when I put the poll on this forum, but like I say I can't edit the poll once posted. Maybe a mod could add a few options for the other categories mentioned?

Head in the clouds

I didn't vote, because no category for me either. But I’m a pilot who bought an existing experimental already built. You’ll find there are a lot in this category, particularly with Van’s aircraft.
Yeah, we need all to vote or the result will be skewed WJ and I think you clearly fit the third option, licensed pilot who hasn't built a plane yet - no?

Bob Mears

I think I've discovered that I enjoyed the build more than I will the flying. Now that I'm about finished with mine, I'm thinking about selling it. Might even do another one. I got about 40 hours flying a Cherokee and find it about as much fun as driving a chevette. Landing is the only real fun to me. A 300hp Spitfire should be more fun than a Cherokee, but if it would bring the price of a new kit, I think I would let it go.

Tony

I think I've discovered that I enjoyed the build more than I will the flying. Now that I'm about finished with mine, I'm thinking about selling it. Might even do another one. I got about 40 hours flying a Cherokee and find it about as much fun as driving a chevette. Landing is the only real fun to me. A 300hp Spitfire should be more fun than a Cherokee, but if it would bring the price of a new kit, I think I would let it go.

My first taildragger that I purchased came from a man whom loved to build. He was an engineer for Boeing. It was his 7th plane he buult. He sold each one for materials and that was it. I missed the 5151, I was a few days late on that one.

I asked him why only materials, he said because he loved to build, his way of giving to the aviation community. I told him we need more like him.

Tony

Nickathome

I've always wanted to build my own plane. I got my license at age 27. I'm almost 49 now. Didn't own my own plane until 2010. I had been out of the flying game for 13 years when my kids started bugging me to take them flying. I got back into it, and lucked into a well used but decent shaped Cessna 150. The longer I own her the more I like flying and at this time am not so sure I really do want to build. Who knows what the future holds though.