• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Are there any instances of attempted / successful deployment of ballistic parachute on a Part 103 or like aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epc

I see lots of Aerolite 103s / Quicksilvers / Kolbs flying around with ballistic parachutes. Those being unregulated vehicles, I wonder if the airframe is strong enough to stay together when the chute opens?

When Aerolite 103 was being certified for sale in Europe, one modification it had to add was to install kevlar rope inside the aluminum tubing so the airframe wouldn't break apart from a chute deployment. Reading that made me wonder about the real life performance of an ultralight aircraft when the chute is deployed.

A quick Google search didn't yield any such instance. Hence the question...

Back