• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Are dual spark plugs still needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How necessare is dual ignition or dual spark plugs.

• 100% required. We all know that magnetos fail.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • They are a very good idea because they help the engine be more effecient.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Dual ignition is required but not dual plugs. A back up ignition system is just as good.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dual plugs are no longer needed with distributed COP style ignition systems.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Dual plugs are still needed with COP systems unless there is no single point failure mode.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Dual plugs lets me use both a magneto and an electronic ignition.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
There is a short old 2009 thread about dual ignitions but we can't tack a poll onto an existing thread so:

I'd like to get some feed back about just how many think dual ignition is needed for aircraft use and why. Back when the 2009 thread was alive things like Coil On Plug or smart coils weren't very common. Maybe opinions have changed?
My personal interest at the moment is with regard to a clean sheet head for the VW conversions, but lets not limit the responses or discussion to one specific engine?

Back