• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Are all VW engines the same physical size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
As it turns out, my cherished hope of using Dave Limmer's BMW K75 engine (at least on my current miniscule Razorback project) seem fading fast. The engine is simply too big. The main issue is that the prop centreline is not in the centre of the engine. Far from it. In fact, the prop centreline is offset far to the left, leaving about 2/3 of the engine to the right of centreline. And it is also too high to fit under the cowl. I would have to remove all the intake goodies, and relocate them on the "skinny" side of the engine.

I am seriously considering mounting the engine even though it sits weirdly offset in the airframe - because as far as I can tell, it is balanced along the prop centreline. So I would have a cowling cheek on the right to accommodate the engine, and the cowling cheek on the left to hold the air intake stuff and any other bits which need to fit under the cowl.

If this works, great. But if not, I may have to revert to Plan B - the Aerovee engine. So I guess my actual question today is: Are all VW engines the same physical size? If they are, I can grab a really scrap VW motor down at the wreckers and mount it on the Strongback in order to take measurements, and to build the cowling round.

Regards,
Duncan

Back