Arduino-Based Instruments?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

huVVer

My manufacturing partner, MakerPlane, is all over this stuff with Raspberry PI based instrumentation and sunlight readable displays. They are also the manufacturing partner for OnSpeed and we have big plans for this stuff.

Thanks for the link, the more the merrier in this space.
VV

huVVer

Software update for the huVVer-AVI instruments:
(March 1, 2022) Version 4.00 of the flight instrument library has been posted to huVVer-AVI Download – Vx Aviation & huVVer.tech In addition to graphics refinements, There are some new features:
- The Attitude Indicator now has selectable upset recovery arrows and markers at +/- 90 degrees to assist in accurate aerobatic manoeuvres.
- The System Configuration menu now allows the selection of serial ports for the data streaming input, including the USB port.
- Night operation has improved by providing more dimmer levels and a change to the dimmer function operation.

Some of these updates have been made to support the evolution of the OnSpeed energy display development.

Details are available in the QuickStart Guide on the site.

VV

View attachment 122990

One more thing: Here's a link to an OnSpeed demonstration flight.

This flight shows how an OnSpeed system can be used in all flight regimes. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy.

huVVer

Here is a teaser. Seeking a low cost controller for my tailBeaconX was a fruitless exercise, so I coded my own on a huVVer-AVI:

7816CBA2-3D0F-4AB5-9001-23D5AD06428F.jpeg

Once the code is available for download, I will post here. It will only be available as a .bin file (not a source file). Cheers, Vern

Arno

Would like to get a copy of that, or description of how you did it, with in/out parameters you did to program it.

Woodenwings

Hello Huvver.

I was wondering if you could talk me through how the tailbeakon adsb out works differently with your nice unit as opposed to the AV30.

I want adsb out...i like the AV30....but also like the idea of having the adsb on its own instrument.

Thanks for your time if you can spare it.

Woodenwings

I just bought a picopie with an oled display. Going to use it as a clock and cabin temp. Display.

Will see how it goes!

huVVer

Here is a teaser. Seeking a low cost controller for my tailBeaconX was a fruitless exercise, so I coded my own on a huVVer-AVI:

View attachment 125702

Once the code is available for download, I will post here. It will only be available as a .bin file (not a source file). Cheers, Vern

We've made some minor changes and are commencing flight testing. Part of the issue was that the (early) experimental version of the tailBeaconX did not function properly with the our control head. A call to uAvionix fixed that, and now we are ready for flight testing. uAvionix has been very supportive of our effort.

Hopefully the test flights will happen this week. I will keep everyone posted. As a note, we have successfully ground tested with Dynon SkyView and Dynon D10A devices providing the serial altitude encoder functions.

Also, as I mentioned, this will not be an 'open-source' release. We are only releasing binary (executable) code. It is a derivative of the open-source GaugeWidgets library, which is very comprehensive in it's description of flight instrument design. Flight instruments are 'one-way' devices (information displays only), whereas transponder controllers are 'two-way' devices (controlling critical aircraft systems).

pfarber

I find it terrifying that anyone would use an Arduino for flight control positions esp flaps. UNLESS you can visiably confirm it.

Id put in a simple syncro system before anything mentioned here.

huVVer

'Arduino' can mean two things: A hardware environment and a Software Integrated Development Environment.

In general, consumer Arduino hardware is not appropriate for mission-critical applications (Aviation, Industrial Control). That's why we build our avionics devices to high standards, which adds a lot of cost. For example, power conditioning and IO protection accounts for more than half the cost of the hardware.

As for the software, the open-source nature of the Arduino IDE allows developers to take responsibility for quality control... trust, but verify. Extensive validation of software is required, and is expensive and time consuming.

Nevertheless, it is not necessary to develop using the Arduino environment-- Platform IO pretty useful, and the Espressif IDE is the ultimate development library.

Despite this, we have never released a device that uses Arduino-based device for primary flight controls. We developed an autotrim/flaps controller using a hardened Arduino design about 10 years ago, and it has been flying flawlessly since then in a Harmon Rocket. It has never been released to the general public... because of the liability concerns. So your point is well made.

Vern

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Seems to me one of the problems with amateur build EFIS and the likes can be single point of failure modes, that can't be taken up by anything else.
True, but if you are only flying VFR then you don’t need much and it’s easy to have separate non-electric backup. Supplement the EFIS with a separate altimeter, airspeed indicator or lift reserve indicator, and mechanical compass and you have all you need to get home.

Aerowerx

True, but if you are only flying VFR then you don’t need much and it’s easy to have separate non-electric backup. Supplement the EFIS with a separate altimeter, airspeed indicator or lift reserve indicator, and mechanical compass and you have all you need to get home.
I read about a J-3 school in Wisconsin(??). For your final exam they cover up ALL the instruments and have you fly by just feel and sound.

TFF

One is making electronic instruments, that’s a hobby in its self. I get the hobby part. I plan on making a breadboard 6502 kit computer for the fun of it. Of course there are no tape or disk drives, so one uses one of the mini computers as the program storage. They do have mishaps. A friend has a robot arm with with multiple Arduinos and they occasionally get flaky.

Anything more than I Follow Roads, they start being less valuable and something more reliable is needed. 100 miles from home, no big deal. Point the way home. It’s got a lot to prove if one is to go 1000miles in varying conditions, even if technically VFR. There is a lot of VFR that’s not sunny and clear.

huVVer

Update: Here's a video from MakerPlane: www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6r_VQ2zDBA

Here's where the instruments are sold: store.makerplane.org Right now, MakerPlane is not preinstalling the App, so go to my product support page for that (see below). I expect that to change soon, with the option of having the TBX App preloaded instead of the Flight Instrument App.

Here's the product support page (with TBX App download and installation guide) huVVer-AVI TBX App

For the Flight Instrument App, go here: huVVer-AVI Download

Flight testing has been completed on both Apps (programs), The hardware has been in production for more than a year. Environmental testing is complete, including +/- 100 Volt immunity on the power supply). This is not your grandfather's Arduino.

Cheers, Vern

Last edited: