Arduino-Based Instruments?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

huVVer

Hi Vern,

Welcome aboard; good to see you here. Please open up a thread or two showing what you've been doing; I'll bet quite a few folks here will find your stuff interesting & useful.

(Vern's been active on another major homebuilt forum for years.)

Charlie

Here's a teaser post of the huVVer-AVI flight instrument... open source library provides six selectable instruments. All user configurable and capable of using serial RS-232 inputs or (Dynon only), WiFi streaming.

Runs on the commercially available M5Stack devices, or the fully-productized huVVer-AVI devices for aircraft use. The huVVer-AVI devices have an aviation-grade power supply, a larger daylight-readable screen, RS-232, CAN, sensor inputs, relay driver outputs and stereo audio outputs. Available off the shelf from MakerPlane. Software available from huVVer.tech.

During development, I decided that a general purpose library was required for drawing instruments of all sorts, hence the underlying GaugeWidgets library. The flight instruments are just one example in the library.

Future releases may include a suite of engine instruments, which are already coded but there are few 'standard' displays due to the multitude of engine types out there, plus varying personal tastes.

VV (Vern)

Backseat Display in my Harmon Rocket (flight tested):

1640963998048.png

Under Construction: Copilot display in my Rans S-21:

1640964325088.png

1640964456004.png

For those of you who attended OshKosh this year (2021) here is the energy display used for the Grand Champion Founder's Innovation Award prize-winning OnSpeed system. I am a member of the team, and developed this energy display to augment the audio tone system. Shown here on the M5Stack.

1640964836692.png

Finally, here's a teaser from my ongoing engine instrument development:
1640965086785.png

Last edited:

dwalker

Supporting Member
Here's a teaser post of the huVVer-AVI flight instrument... open source library provides six selectable instruments. All user configurable and capable of using serial RS-232 inputs or (Dynon only), WiFi streaming.

Runs on the commercially available M5Stack devices, or the fully-productized huVVer-AVI devices for aircraft use. The huVVer-AVI devices have an aviation-grade power supply, a larger daylight-readable screen, RS-232, CAN, sensor inputs, relay driver outputs and stereo audio outputs. Available off the shelf from MakerPlane. Software available from huVVer.tech.

During development, I decided that a general purpose library was required for drawing instruments of all sorts, hence the underlying GaugeWidgets library. The flight instruments are just one example in the library.

Future releases may include a suite of engine instruments, which are already coded but there are few 'standard' displays due to the multitude of engine types out there, plus personal tastes.

VV (Vern)

View attachment 119840

Are the display housings 3D print?

EDIT- nevermind I went to your page and checked it out. Super cool stuff you're doing, I like it.

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Speaking of OnSpeed....
Any idea when they'll have the pre-built circuits available? After spending 50+ years sticking components in circuit boards, I've lost the motivation to do component level assembly.

After looking up what the M5Stack I/Os look like, it should make a very affordable engine monitor when you have the time to get one set up. Ironically, I had to look up the specs (of the msp32) on Wikipedia; I could never tease out the in/out features on the M5Stack website.

huVVer

Hi Charlie.
OnSpeed is working with MakerPlane to eventually have their boxes off-the-shelf, but a few optimizations are being made before this happens, including outfitting some famous manufacturer's demo aircraft with systems.

As for the M5Stack, they are not good platforms for reliable use in aircraft, but work fine for development. The huVVer-AVI devices are what you need (and are based largely on the M5Stack concept).

Right now, all of the devices are designed to be slaved to Dynon or Garmin EFIS systems as copilot or backseat displays. This guarantees the integrity and longevity of the data sources. We are working on incorporation of other source boxes such as CAN-FIX.

A little known factoid is that I was the editor of the Dynon and Garmin serial streaming protocols almost 10 years ago (Fight Information eXchange -- FIX). I have developed multiple devices that run the protocols (AOA displays, stick shakers, autotrim controllers, plus the huVVer-AVI devices) and I have a data stream emulator for real-time traffic generation and system debug. My data extraction software puts all of the serial or UDP stream information into accessible variables, so it's easy to make new functions.

Third parties are encourage to support this 'defacto' standard, but MakerPlane has also extended it to CANBus, hence 'CANFIX'. Since there is a CAN connection on the huVVer-AVI units, that is an easy upgrade.

VV

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Ahhh... sloppy reading on my part; I just assumed that you were using the M5S hardware for the display & processor, & missed the fact that you're making custom hardware. Does Dynon compatibility include AFS hardware, now that the lines are sorta converging?

It looks like the processor has enough I/O to be a standalone gadget. Any plans in that direction?

huVVer

Ahhh... sloppy reading on my part; I just assumed that you were using the M5S hardware for the display & processor, & missed the fact that you're making custom hardware. Does Dynon compatibility include AFS hardware, now that the lines are sorta converging?

It looks like the processor has enough I/O to be a standalone gadget. Any plans in that direction?

AFS is identical to Dynon, so yes.

Woodenwings

In response to the tone from earlier....i have had personal work experience of the very worst kind with china as a customer and a materials provider.

I think everyone knows the pitfalls, and we can stop going down the gardennpath.

The old opinion that you buy any tool you can afford....then replace it with a better one later, applies to arduino projects.

As long as the project is non critical...it is just play.

There is a lot of good learning and satisfaction to be had.

Anyone actually make a thing?

Happy new year...

Woodenwings

Hy HuVVer!

Oh my....i know they are the real deal...so sorry...

So often is the case that my version of the conversation seems frozen...then my comments are referring to something from younks ago...and i sound like an ass because im out of date. Please take no offense!

I am farmiliar with these because of mr. J. Nichol! 👍

I think this is the way to go. I am very interested in drawing my own gauge graphics etc.. need a flap position gauge.

Can i buy one of these and play with it without an data source to get the feel for it?

Thanks for sharing....i have been drooling over the possibilities of this for some time.

huVVer

Hy HuVVer!

Oh my....i know they are the real deal...so sorry...

So often is the case that my version of the conversation seems frozen...then my comments are referring to something from younks ago...and i sound like an ass because im out of date. Please take no offense!

I am farmiliar with these because of mr. J. Nichol! 👍

I think this is the way to go. I am very interested in drawing my own gauge graphics etc.. need a flap position gauge.

Can i buy one of these and play with it without an data source to get the feel for it?

Thanks for sharing....i have been drooling over the possibilities of this for some time.

Very simple: you can enable the WiFi RX mode and send UDP packets over WiFi from a PC running PacketSender. IP address 192.168.4.255, port 49155. Only power required.

The GaugeWidgets library has all of the flight instruments shown. The menu system is a bit twisty, but the graphics stuff is easy to follow once you get the hang of it. I'd recommend not changing menu items until you are certain you know what's happening. Sometimes I get confused due to my advanced age.

VV

Geraldc

The GaugeWidgets library has all of the flight instruments shown. The menu system is a bit twisty, but the graphics stuff is easy to follow once you get the hang of it.
Does this work like the Newhaven display widgets?You make a display from a graphic file and overlay a controllable needle etc.

huVVer

Does this work like the Newhaven display widgets?You make a display from a graphic file and overlay a controllable needle etc.

No. The NHD EVE displays are limited and will buffer overflow with complex graphics. My libraries use the Bodmer TFT_eSPI library for graphical primitives and adds some new elements and a suite of gauge-specific methods. It's all on the huVVer.tech website. Each instrument is drawn from scratch at 16 Hz, which is the frame rate of the incoming serial data. It's based on work I did in 1980 that emulated a Calma GDS-II system (you'll need to look that up). There is some resemblance to Dynon's methods of creating custom gauges.

Woodenwings

Very simple: you can enable the WiFi RX mode and send UDP packets over WiFi from a PC running PacketSender. IP address 192.168.4.255, port 49155. Only power required.

The GaugeWidgets library has all of the flight instruments shown. The menu system is a bit twisty, but the graphics stuff is easy to follow once you get the hang of it. I'd recommend not changing menu items until you are certain you know what's happening. Sometimes I get confused due to my advanced age.

VV
Cheers!

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Maybe a slight hijack but is there any small and cheap Arduino based board that can handle the voltage ranges in a plane and is a little "rougher"? Or would you always put in a separate voltage regulators and some surge protection and do you have any recommendation how to do that? I want to build a custom flaps and trim indicator.

dwalker

Supporting Member
Maybe a slight hijack but is there any small and cheap Arduino based board that can handle the voltage ranges in a plane and is a little "rougher"? Or would you always put in a separate voltage regulators and some surge protection and do you have any recommendation how to do that? I want to build a custom flaps and trim indicator.

I am doing that project now and the short answer is yes. When I'm actually awake I will give a longer answer.

huVVer

Good news/bad news:
Here are the flaps/trim controller boards I developed (open source): huVVer – Vx Aviation & huVVer.tech

Bad news is that component shortages means that I am out of stock on the boards.

These boards can withstand +/- 60V. You will see the details in the schematic.

VV

fretman_2

When you guys develop stand alone systems you'll have something. Any plans for ADS-B in with AHRS?

Woodenwings

Good news/bad news:
Here are the flaps/trim controller boards I developed (open source): huVVer – Vx Aviation & huVVer.tech

Bad news is that component shortages means that I am out of stock on the boards.

These boards can withstand +/- 60V. You will see the details in the schematic.

VV
Pretty sure my Grandad never had an Arduino....let alone an Arduino Shield...he would have approved however! 👍