Arduino-Based Instruments?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilotgil

This is the latest revision to the Arduino-based instrument (Altimeter/VSI). The altimeter and VSI are working along with the baro adjustment. It's very accurate. The VSI has a bar graph on the left side and seems to function nicely. The baro adjustment is in the lower right corner with the altitude in the upper left. Initial flight tests look good. The graphics have a ways to go so for now, I'm just going to install in the airplane as is and use it for awhile and see what's next. I'll probably get on the AI next and then once that is working then work on polishing everything up. Sorry for the lousy picture.

IMG_5704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5704.jpg
    IMG_5704.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3

pfarber

Just go PLC. PLCs have dedicated IO/A2D/D2A/relays/LCD drivers that you need to cobble together to make a arduino work.

rotax618

Have you had a look at this
it is Arduino based and I believe open source.

Saville

Hello All,

I decided to see what I could actually get accomplished and designed the attached Arduino-compatible printed circuit board to form fit it into a 2 1/4" inch instrument hole.

Gil

View attachment 65877 View attachment 65878

Are there PC Board fabricators for hobbyists? Is it something anyone can get made, for small batches like 2 or 3, once you supply the file?

Thanks

sming

Yes nobody does their own pcbs anymore. Jlpcb, seeedstudios etc ... You can get whatever you need for mega cheap with world wide shipping from china. Even 4 layers with solder mask. Some will even solder SMD components for you !

Saville

Yes nobody does their own pcbs anymore. Jlpcb, seeedstudios etc ... You can get whatever you need for mega cheap with world wide shipping from china. Even 4 layers with solder mask. Some will even solder SMD components for you !

Thanks for the reply and references. Yeah it looks like you can get a 2 layer PCB made for you for small dollars. That's great!

Woodenwings

Sorry if this has been covered already.
FRITZING is a piece of software that can be used to make the files required to outsource some custom PCBs. We use it at work. It is extremely arduino friendly. Pcbs as large and complex with two sided circuits. Silkscreening and drilling are about 5 bucks with a min order of about 15 units. Fritzing has links to partnered manufacturers.

Heliano

Impressive, Pilotgil. Well done. One question: what kind of sensor did you use? a BMP280, a MPS20, a Xgzp040 or yet something else? just curious.

qchen98

Sorry if this has been covered already.
FRITZING is a piece of software that can be used to make the files required to outsource some custom PCBs. We use it at work. It is extremely arduino friendly. Pcbs as large and complex with two sided circuits. Silkscreening and drilling are about 5 bucks with a min order of about 15 units. Fritzing has links to partnered manufacturers.

I would recommend EasyEDA.

Five custom-made PCBs from JIPCB are only $1 nowadays.

qchen98

1639446137982.png
1639446151860.png
EasyEDA has tons of symbol and footprint avaliable, that cover most of the devboard and component that as a hobbist would use.

I couldn't speak of JICPCB's international service. However, I can say that anyone in based in mainland China could receive a free quota of two lots of customized PCB (for a total of ten boards) from JICPCB PER MONTH which I took advantage of.

pfarber

Wonder if Pilotgil still reads this forum. It's been four years since last post.

That's why I never get excited about FOSS projects. Flash in the pan. Get so far, hit a roadblock, project dies.

A PLC would be a much better route, less components, more robust selection, dedicated IO, no need for a special library that is also unmaintaned for X years.

rv7charlie

Have you had a look at this
it is Arduino based and I believe open source.
I really wish those guys would set up a wifi or bluetooth interface for android tablets. There are plenty of them available these days that are bright enough to be sunlight readable, probably as cheap as building the display, and would be full color, which is a very useful feature.