Anyone know what this is?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jhausch

My ignorance is showing, but I did not think ULs could carry the speed for two consecutive loops (done after his inverted into a spin adventure in the latter half of of the vid)

Looked like a fun flight and that he's very in-tune with his machine.

MX304

I just noticed it has two seats as well, so it's an LSA instead of a UL, but I'd still like to know what it is.

autoreply

My ignorance is showing, but I did not think ULs could carry the speed for two consecutive loops (done after his inverted into a spin adventure in the latter half of of the vid)
Looking at it mathematically, you only need a decent ratio between stall and VNE, only the radius gets pretty small. I've seen a Castel 25S doing loops (stall, 25 mph, VNE, 55 mph).

But indeed, impressive video, looks really cool.

MX304

Why is it that 90% of the ultralight / LSAs I would consider building or buying are being mfg and sold in Australia........

mstull

Jhausch,

After holding the plane in a spin for quite a spell in that video, those weren't loops, they were split-Ss. The aircraft is rolled inverted, then the stick is pulled aft, like the last/downward half of a loop.

Most/many true/legal (USA) U/Ls won't do a loop. They are so light that they have almost no momentum. When you start to pull Gs up into a loop, induced drag multiplies and gravity slows the plane almost instantly to near zero air speed about the time you reach a vertical attitude.

If you can make it a little past vertical, the plane might fall over backward to complete the loop, rather than just stalling forward. But it ends up looking like a written, lower case e or i. And you tend to do, or come very close to an inverted stall as it falls through. And in that moment, it is possible to fall off into an inverted spin, which can be pretty confusing. And without inverted systems, the engine will die or at least lose power for a few seconds.

You have to be careful not to exceed Vne in Split-Ss or loops, since you are momentarily going straight down. And you have to be careful not to break the wings pulling too many Gs when you pull out.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I've done loops in the clipped wing aerobatic Quicksilver MX we had, but Dana is correct that momentum did not carry well through the loop... it was largely assisted by the brute force of the 50 hp motor pushing us through the upside.

Bruce :)

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Here's another vid I love watching - looks like a hell of a lot of fun:

It's bad enough that I still have 2 weeks of house renovation and moving to go through before I can get back to anything aviation. Talk about salt in the wound
:hammer: Take that you evil man!

Got to watch that one again. Just call me a masochist :)

Latest posts

Group Builder