Anyone know this Sonerai???

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fusionfab

Can anyone tell me if they know this sonerai?
EAA Young Eagles - 1001 Aviation Photos

It says on its site it's a single seater but I thought only the sonerai II came in a low wing design? Also looking at the fuselage it appears to be sheet metal or fiberglass rather than fabric, or am I seeing things? I have always liked the sonerai but preferred metal build. Is this possible with the sonerai?
thanks

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That particular example appears to be a two-seat Sonerai IIL.
FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry

I believe this has fabric covering from the top longeron down...just hard to see in this photo. By "metal build," I presume you mean sheet aluminum instead of steel tube. I'm not aware of any plans for a sheet aluminum fuselage. I suppose it could be done, but it would be like designing a whole new airplane.

fusionfab

Fly2kads thanks for the info on that. I really like the sonerais and am just figuring out which plans built plane I'd like to pursue. With work I'm familiar with sheet metal construction so wanted to stick to aluminum skinned designs. I know the tube and fabric design is a proven and popular way to build I just really like the look of the aluminum skin and was wondering of rather covering the fuselage from the longeron down in aluminum as opposed to fabric would work. My favorites are the BK-1 which is still not available and the hummel bird but is too small.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
What you are describing is similar to the "metalizing" process that was done on some certificated, fabric covered aircraft some years ago. This has been discussed on this forum not too long ago. I can try to dig up that thread if you can't find it through the search function. The short answer is that it is possible, but there is a weight penalty. Thinner (lighter) skins get dinged up fairly easily. If you go with heavier skins for more durability, you're into gauges like you'd use on an all-aluminum airframe. The Sonerai doesn't have that many square feet to deal with, but on the other hand, it is an airframe where small amounts of weight can make a big difference.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
What you are describing is similar to the "metalizing" process that was done on some certificated, fabric covered aircraft some years ago. This has been discussed on this forum not too long ago. I can try to dig up that thread if you can't find it through the search function. The short answer is that it is possible, but there is a weight penalty. Thinner (lighter) skins get dinged up fairly easily. If you go with heavier skins for more durability, you're into gauges like you'd use on an all-aluminum airframe. The Sonerai doesn't have that many square feet to deal with, but on the other hand, it is an airframe where small amounts of weight can make a big difference.
In short, every ounce and pound you add in aluminum skin comes directly out of the amount of weight you can carry in people, baggage, and fuel. That's not a very practical trade, just for an aesthetic preference. If you're dead-set on all-aluminum, take a look at the RV-4.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Can anyone tell me if they know this sonerai?
EAA Young Eagles - 1001 Aviation Photos

It says on its site it's a single seater but I thought only the sonerai II came in a low wing design? Also looking at the fuselage it appears to be sheet metal or fiberglass rather than fabric, or am I seeing things? I have always liked the sonerai but preferred metal build. Is this possible with the sonerai?
thanks
First of all, if it was used for Young Eagles, that would be tough to do with a single seater! :gig:

The photo makes it look like a single seater, but the Sonerai II is soloed from the back seat. The front seat is tucked up pretty close to the front of the canopy.

Bruce :)