Anyone know anything about buildandfly.shop for buying plans?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John Lambert

I'm interested in some study plans to build a large scale radio control model but I'm wondering if this place is a rip off of some sort. Anyone here who has ordered plans from them? Thanks for any help.

John

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are indeed a "rip off of some sort"... they're ripping off the rightful owners of the copyright of those plans with their pirated copies. I've also heard that their stuff tends to be poor quality scans with lots of missing information.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
With (apparent) ripoff/pirating sites like this being prevalent and under-the-table electronic sharing of plans being even more common, it would seem that the folks who own the rights to airplane plans would do well to sell "for study" versions very cheaply (paper or electronic). Want to build a plane? Then pay the $300-$500 for support, updates a welcome into the official community.

Last edited:

nestofdragons

With (apparent) ripoff/pirating sites like this being prevalent and under-the-table electronic sharing of plans being even more common, it would seem that the folks who own the rights to airplane plans would do well to sell "for study" versions very cheaply (paper or electronic). Want to build a plane? Then pay the $300-$500 for support, updates an a welcome into the official community.
On my website i tried to counter a few pirates of old plans. How did i do that? Easy! I asked the family of the passed away designer and got permission to place the plans on my website. So i placed them there ... free to download for own use. Seems that some quick search for those plans gets you pretty quickly to my website. So ... no more money for the pirates. Mission succeeded.

nestofdragons

By the way ... if anybody knows the next of kin of the Superfloater, i would gladly repeat that system of countering pirates with those plans for free on my website.

Wolfen1176

I have a copy of the ch640 plans from them. Ended up getting them for free (don't ask me how).

Zenair no longer offers these plans for sale no matter how much I begged them to take my money for them, so I wasn't really too interested in what they thought about people having bootleg copies. I have since found and purchased an official set though.

After comparing both sets I have to say that the bootleg plans are very good quality at least for this design.

They also have plans on there for the RV6 which for a while Van's had detailed enough drawings to build the airframe from.

I would however caution against building from the bootleg plans for a design that is still supported.

dog

If the owner of a design decided not to sell additional plans, that is his choice. Why do you then become “not too interested” in respecting the designer’s rights?

BJC
there is something in law requiring a rights holder
to represent and defend those rights
and why succession planing and mentoring,are
important and
proof is in someone like nestofdragons steping in
and filling a void where otherwise a legacy is lost

Air Trikes

I sell different plans of Eagle trikes, belt redrive, conversion manual. All of them are copied without my permission, now for sale. I don't care because I often upgrade-improve my plans, and builder support is free for my legal buyers. I have a lot of cases when people buy pirated plans, approached me, then apologized and bought updated plans + builder support. Those pirates are my additional advertising :)

Attachments

• 01adv1.jpg
    01adv1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0

Wanttaja

Morals aside, does the copyright to those plans ever expire?
If they were created in 1978 or later, the copyright expires 70 years after the author dies.

1923-1978, copyright protection lasts 95 years from the time of publication.

Prior to 1923, the work is in the public domain.

This is US law, other countries differ.

Ron Wanttaja

KAL

I'm interested in some study plans to build a large scale radio control model but I'm wondering if this place is a rip off of some sort. Anyone here who has ordered plans from them? Thanks for any help.

John
Hello John,
Yes, I have ordered the plans for a PIK-26 airplane design I was considering building. I was able to download the material and I received a flash drive in the mail from him with the plans. All the plan sheets are there but it is all written in Finnish language and dimensioned in metric system. I could overcome the translation issues and work with the metric dimensions but there is no flight manual, weight and balance information or building instructions. I wouldn’t start or build an airplane from what I received.

Chris Kalishek

Wanttaja

I was able to download the material and I received a flash drive in the mail from him with the plans.
This is one thing that made me hesitate to order from them. Electronic media from a Russian pirate site? What could go wrong? :)

They list Fly Baby plans and I'm curious to see which edition they are...or even if they're the Ultra-Baby, the Part 103 semi-clone.

Ron Wanttaja

GeeZee

I happened upon that site a few months ago and there was a banner across the bottom that said a portion of the proceeds would go to support Ukraine. Not sure what to think about that. Lots of Russians don’t like what’s going on or it’s really a Ukrainian site or it’s a ruse. The banner seems to be gone now so we may never know.

Wanttaja

Can you even order stuff from Russia now, given the current world situation? Hell, he might even be in their army now.
I understand Russia has had a big run on spruce, 1/8" cable, and Model A engines..... :)

Ron "It'd probably be an improvement" Wanttaja

This is one thing that made me hesitate to order from them. Electronic media from a Russian pirate site? What could go wrong? :)

They list Fly Baby plans and I'm curious to see which edition they are...or even if they're the Ultra-Baby, the Part 103 semi-clone.

Ron Wanttaja
Off topic Ron, but I bought ultrababy plans waaaaay back. Do you know if any ever were built and flown? As legal 103s?