Quantcast

Anyone interested in making aviation history?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

What is the main restriction of light speed travel?

• Heat

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Engine Power

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Size

• Human Factor

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Heat

• Engine Power

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Size

• Human Factor

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparkmanian

I am looking for one dedicated team of engineers wishing to break and make records for speed, safety, efficiency, price, and style. I am looking for dedicated people who's passion truly is aviation. Payment is available, although I am really looking for people interested in the development of the aircraft and not the pay. There is no official work that has been done as of yet so if your wanting to be one of the first then cool. Oh, and if you are only looking for good pay, sorry, only the bare minimum wage of Ohio will do ya. However, living space, food, and clothing will be provided. To get all of the details please message me.

sparkmanian

hey if you guys are so cool and smart then tell me something, what is steven hawkings theory of time and space. and how does it relate to flight?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
hey if you guys are so cool and smart then tell me something, what is steven hawkings theory of time and space. and how does it relate to flight?
Perhaps it would help if you were a little more clear about the goals and objectives of your project. It's more than a little vague, given what you've talked about so far. Combine that with some of your word choices - "making history", "light speed", etc. - and some healthy skepticism is normal.

What is it you want to accomplish with your project?

Last edited:

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Sparky..

You should have put another box on your poll....."all of the above". But Mike is right.....we all have the right to dream. Personally, I think you've been watching too many space movies bud! I'm no rocket scientist, nor engineer, nor designer, but unless I'm mistaken, I dont think that ANY kind of craft (as we earthling humans know them) is going to travel at light speed.....except light! But dont hold me to that....so I'm with Mike. Go for it bud! And one thing to consider......if/when you get stuck along the line somewhere, you can always beam Orion or someone over to help!:ermm:

Good luck!

sparkmanian

Topaz,
I am not attempting to break light speed, that is in theory, impossible. I am simply trying to find a dedicated and well rounded team of people interested in shaking the system by bringing a new era into the aviation world. Yeah a big dream, but what historic figure didn't have a big dream? The Steven Hawking thing is simply a big thing with me because I am interested in physics. Oh, and can I add ya to my buds list, you had my back.

Peter V

Those annoying laws of physics are the main restriction on speed of light travel.
There are only two things faster than light; shadows and patterns, and neither take passengers.

sparkmanian

So what if I dream big. Obviously some of you won't. No offense, but why be a downer and say crazy if it's not your idea or problem. Right? It's not like I am going to hurt anyone. And I totally agree with Peter V. I have no illusions of beating physics. I am not capable.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sparky, it's just that after a while we've seen, here and elsewhere, so many people with a fantastic vague idea that will revolutionize [insert your chosen field of endavour here]. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Few of the grand ideas ever amount to anything (though I admit two boys from Dayton did rather well), and if you've never seen airplanes flying around with your new great idea it's likely that it's been tried before and turned out to be impractical. But don't be discouraged, go for it by first learning all you can about the subject matter and experimenting on a small scale first (which is what those boys from Dayton did).

-Dana

Lie ? Me ? Never! No, no, no, the truth is far too much fun!

Jman

Site Developer
Sparkmanian,

First off, welcome to the group. It's no crime to dream big. Heck, we all would love to be the ones to discover that one bit of aeronautical knowledge that will revolutionize the aviation industry. Who wouldn't right? I am not the person to say you will not be the next Burt Rutan of your generation. However, if you would like to garner support for your ideas, go easy on the grand statements and go heavier on the specific goals. In my experience, the people here are more than willing to help when there are definable problem to be solved. Take it one attainable step at a time and you can get there.

I noticed in the other thread that you mentioned you were going to be joining the Army Soon. I'm currently on Active Duty flying Scout Helicopters in Iraq. I was a Bomb Disposal Tech for my first 8 years and I've been doing this for about 4 and a half. If you have any questions about the Army, or different career paths you might wish to take, you can ask here or Private Message me.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing the specifics of your ideas.

Birdmanzak

My first response to the question was "Duh, that whole relativity thing. It's hard to accelerate when your mass exceeds that of the universe."

When I saw the poll options though, I thought you'd just phrased the question "What's the main restriction on light, fast travel?" poorly. Perhaps referring to a 280kt ultralight, or something (my answer to that wasn't listed: money).

Now I'm just confused. What exactly are you trying to set out to achieve? FTL travel's out of the question, unless you're building wormholes (which would be neat, I can't wait to see them on YouTube). Otherwise you're just talking about some novel development in aeronautics (in any context other than next to superluminal speeds, "spectacular developments" would be more appropriate) which will revolutionise the field.

While I'm sure there are spectacular advances to be made, they'll be few and far between. Physics is just going to get in the way of a lot of them. Accelerating a person to high speeds takes a certain amount of energy. Fuel, no matter how efficiently it's used, only contains a certain amount of energy. Materials, even bespoke ones made of carbon nanotubes, have finite non-zero mass.

As important as thinking outside the square is; F=ma, even for you.

sparkmanian

Well, hey, thanks for your advice. I chose to be vague mainly to protect my idea's, but what the hey. Well some specefics so far:
1. Titanium seems to be the best choice for a framing material for my first design. The reason being is that it is one of the best metals for heat resistance from what I read. It is light wieght and durable. The only major set back is cost.
2. Engines posed an initial problem because I had no idea how to get the power needed to generate enough thrust to obtain lift on my craft. I did some research and decided that I would design my own, which I did. It is in a class of it's own I am fairly sure, so I like to call it the As-42cH engine. ( Aerospiraled 42 cylinder hydrogen engine) I designed it with a type of "shell" that helps provide a more aerodynamic bypass for the airflow coming from the compression stage of the entire jet engine.
3. I also had the dilema of finding an electrical source for the combustion process of the As-42cH engine. Then I realized it was a simple solution. Have the engine provide it's own electrical power source, although to intially start the engine there will have to be a battery source. So how it all comes together is this, compression stage, engine, generator powered by running engine, heat stage, and secondary "compression" stage.

Well there are the basics of the basics in my design so far. If you want more detailed info then let me know.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're still being vague. What kind of speeds and temperatures are you talking about? What mission?

Forty-two cylinders? But then you're calling it a jet engine?

Hydrogen isn't that great a fuel source. Yes, its mass energy density is greater than that of, say, gasoline or kerosene, but its volumetric energy density is poor and the weight and compexity of the associated tankage is a real problem... which is one reason you don't see any hydrogen powered cars.

-Dana

If the government doesn't trust us with our guns, why should we trust them with theirs?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Spark,

I can understand your desire to keep your ideas under wraps, particularly if you feel that they involve something of a breakthrough. Unfortunately, as others have said above, every once in a while someone comes through here with a "Great Idea" that will "Revolutionize Aviation." Very often it involves a high-speed aircraft of one form or other. Even more often, the idea, once revealed, turns out to be impractical at best, and at worst, fantasy. Bad feelings ensue, and then the inventor disappears.

Are there breakthroughs to be made in aviation? Of course there are. Perhaps you've got one in your design. But from a marketing standpoint (that's what I do for a living), you might want to let out a few more specifics of the mission profile for your aircraft (range, speed, payload - you can do that without releasing technology specifics) and exactly what areas of help you need and for which you're willing to contract outside expertise. And tone down some of the hyperbole. The time for superlatives is after you've flown a prototype and can demonstrate that what you have is real. Too many people in the experimental/homebuilt aircraft industry have hyped their design to the moon, only to run into developmental problems and wish they'd been a little more reserved and cautious in building expectations. Not saying that this is you, but rather that what you're doing looks like that, so people will naturally be suspicious that you're another one of "those guys."

On a side note, the biggest obstacle to creating a light, supersonic aircraft is one that wasn't on your poll: Money.

People who have come through here before wanting to build a small jet have received rough estimates well, well, into the six figures from people here who are certainly in a position to estimate such things accurately. Since, from your original post, you sound like you're trying to put together something of an 'open source'-type team for your project, where contributing individuals are primarily donating their time out of interest, you may be able to do some of your development less expensively. However, exotic materials like titanium and ceramics such as you mentioned in your other posts could easily push your project into the multi-million dollar level.

Again, not trying to dampen your enthusiasm or your dreams! But these are the sort of issues that people will need to see you have the ability to address before you'll be able to enlist their help, especially on a volunteer or near-volunteer basis. Until then, people will be hugely skeptical.

Last edited:

Batjac

So what if I dream big. Obviously some of you won't.
Sparky, It's not that we won't. I'm 44, and I get the feeling that I may be one of the younger guys on this board. Wisdom DOES come with age. At 17, you have your dreams, and we all wish you well. It's just that, in so many years of living and flying (many of us have been flying and building longer than you've been alive), we've learned to temper enthusiasm with wisdom. If you had the resources of NASA or Lockheed, you could probably do what you're proposing. Can a small group like this come up with new, innovative ideas? Sure. But, the limiting factors are Time and Money. If you join the Army as you've said you plan on doing, you'll have neither for this project.

There are many amazing things that can be done by one person, or by a small group. Sometimes, it's just that reality often interferes with our reach. I wish you well in your project...

Last edited:

PLANEGUY

Im late but Ill say money also! I have a hard time with an $80/hr fuel burn in my Skymaster at 160ktas! I drive a Lear that can to 500ktas on 1000lbs an hour and on that beast the fuel is only a fraction of the operateing expence!

Just being contraty... If its what you want, do it and if I can afford it and its cool then Ill have two when there ready!

_travis

Rhino

Topaz,
I am not attempting to break light speed, that is in theory, impossible. I am simply trying to find a dedicated and well rounded team of people interested in shaking the system by bringing a new era into the aviation world. Yeah a big dream, but what historic figure didn't have a big dream?
How many historic figures did it by paying their "dedicated team of engineers" minimum wage? I never fault anyone for having a dream, and certainly not for pursuing it. But, although I wish you the best of luck, it certainly seems that there will need to be a few more dominos in place before you can get this off the ground. However, don't count that as discouragement. Just by researching this, you have already gone farther than most people do in pursuing their dreams. And dreams become goals by brainstorming and learning what will work, by discovering what doesn't. Although I think you have a few problems with the approach so far, that does not mean you can't work them out, and I wish you well.