Anyone here living in an Airpark Community?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I live in a nice airpark, 0TE4 Hilltop Lakes, TX some 120 miles north of Houston. 3,000' paved, lighted,
papi (2), beacon and pilot's lounge. All new surfacing and marked. Golf, horseback riding, putt-putt golf, restaurant, hotel, swimming pool, 5 fishing lakes. Nearest town 9 miles south, Bryan/College Station 45 miles ssw (Texas A&M). Been here 15 years and only one glitch.... a POH! Just stay away from the politics. Look us up un the WWW

Cardmarc

5TX0 here north of Dallas. Make sure the Airpark has a super strong Homeowners Assiciation and is owned ‘in common’.

bmcj

Supporting Member
At E79, every parcel deed includes a legal easement right of way to the common areas (runways, taxiways, clear zones, etc) for the specific use as runway/taxiway/etc. even if someone owns or buys the common area, they are legally obligated to maintain it for its designated public aviation use.

WWhunter

I have been looking for an airpark home for a few years (yes, not in a hurry) as I figure in another 10 years I will probably want to retire to a climate that's afford more winter months flying. I own my own land, 120 acres with it's own strip and hangar currently. Every airpark I have visited or looked at seems to have some sort of negative, but then I realize that I have total freedom on my own property and will have to 'learn to play with other'.

My primary focus is the southwest as I have two daughters in AZ, but my son is in Oregon. I passed up a smoking deal in Texas, which in hindsight I probably should have purchased. My deciding factor at the time was that it felt claustrophobic, the homes/hangars were crammed together.

Another place that I looked at in NM was perfect other than no one had any information on the runway, as in there was no legal paperwork stating who takes care of the runway, ownership, or long term access to said runway. There also seemed to be quite a few 'non-aviation' types moving in and I could see the possibility of them having complaints about airplane noise and traffic in the future.

Prerequisites are minimal. I will be downsizing and a hangar home or smaller house is all we need.

BJC

Supporting Member
Every airpark I have visited or looked at seems to have some sort of negative, but then I realize that I have total freedom on my own property and will have to 'learn to play with other'.
My wife much prefers to live in a community, so having our own runway was not a consideration. After we bought our lot here (97FL aka Love’s Landing in north central Florida), our good friends, who had their own private airport in North Carolina, disagreed about where they wanted to live. He wanted to stay in NC, but she wanted to build where we were building. She prevailed, and he reluctantly came along. After a few months living here, he was totally sold on the airpark.

There are obvious advantages, such as shared cost of runway and grounds maintenance. But for me, being surrounded by people with a common interest is a big plus. I frequently tell people that one of the things that I like best about living here is that there are so many really interesting neighbors.

BJC

BJC

Supporting Member
Yes.
Excellent.
11+ years
That depends on the established neighbors and the new people.

We welcome all newcomers, and almost all have fit in very well.

One recent newcomer couple moved here from another airpark, were welcomed by all, and invited to participate in some community events. After a few months, they opted out of all social activities, and have remained loners since. A clue should have been their announcement that the reason they left their previous airpark was that "everyone there was a jerk." Seems that they think that of us, now.

BJC
Update: That couple have now sold, and are building at another airpark.

BJC

Bill-Higdon

I have been looking for an airpark home for a few years (yes, not in a hurry) as I figure in another 10 years I will probably want to retire to a climate that's afford more winter months flying. I own my own land, 120 acres with it's own strip and hangar currently. Every airpark I have visited or looked at seems to have some sort of negative, but then I realize that I have total freedom on my own property and will have to 'learn to play with other'.

My primary focus is the southwest as I have two daughters in AZ, but my son is in Oregon. I passed up a smoking deal in Texas, which in hindsight I probably should have purchased. My deciding factor at the time was that it felt claustrophobic, the homes/hangars were crammed together.

Another place that I looked at in NM was perfect other than no one had any information on the runway, as in there was no legal paperwork stating who takes care of the runway, ownership, or long term access to said runway. There also seemed to be quite a few 'non-aviation' types moving in and I could see the possibility of them having complaints about airplane noise and traffic in the future.

Prerequisites are minimal. I will be downsizing and a hangar home or smaller house is all we need.
Down side to Oregon is the Wets side in the late fall, winter, and part of the spring has a lot of None VFR days

WWhunter

Down side to Oregon is the Wets side in the late fall, winter, and part of the spring has a lot of None VFR days
Definitely true!! My son who now owns my old 172 can surely attest to that. He married a lady from Grants Pass and before moving there thought he would have lots of flying days. He found out quickly that the local airport is in sort of a bowl and is 'socked in' frequently. It's a beautiful area, but between the smoke from the fires in the summer and the marginal VFR days, not as many clear flying days as he was expecting.

Speaking of the smoke, it was last summer that we flew the 172 from here in northern MN to his hangar in Grants pass. The smoke was very bad from the time we got to central Montana until landing in Grants Pass. Heck, we had landed and spent the night hoping to tour the VANS factory but when we got up in the morning the smoke was already getting bad. We immediately took off for GP and when we landed there, the visibility was dwindling fast! It went from a mile visibility to zero in the time it took us to taxi to his hangar, get the door open and the plane pushed in. We counted ourselves very lucky!! (He is IFR/Commercial rated)

PTAirco

I ended up with a half acre lot at Pahrump. Nevada. It's an airpark that never really fully developed. Lots were sold at$25k+ back in the 90s. There can't be more than 20 houses/hangars there now, out of a total of 300 lots. But most lots are sold! People are sitting on them and won't sell because they want to quadruple their investment from 30 years ago. Will never happen. I paid a reasonable amount for mine because it was a foreclosure. All these owners will die eventually and their kids will probably get rid of them at bargain prices, just like those dilapidated airplanes you see rotting somewhere because the owner will "fix it up soon".

I already heard about some aspects of the politics; it seems as soon as three people gather in a room, factions form. Some nice people though, haven't met the local nazi yet. Not sure if I want to keep the lot; the airport is nice, 4000ft paved runway, fuel. And since it's the desert, nobody will ever plant trees on the approach ends! It's almost always sunny, it's calm or seriously windy, but more flyable days than most other parts of the country. But then all construction material prices doubled and quadrupled and likely they won't ever get back to sane levels, so I doubt I'll ever make use of it. The hangar building I looked at literally doubled in cost. Sc.w that, I don't work to make others rich.

An interesting side note: while looking at the sale price history on the county website, there were the strangest transactions! People buying a lot that sold for $20 previously, for over 200K and immediately reselling for 20k again and other strange shenanigans. How anyone at the county doesn't spot money laundering I don't know!

eschlanser

New to the area here. I have two airplanes, a PA-15 and a Tailwind W-10 that I built.

Anybody have any tips on a air parks near Beaverton, OR? Stark’s Twin Oaks looks perfect for a hangar and is only 15 minutes away but no air park. Somebody mentioned Bernard’s. I’m unfamiliar with that. Is it still a thing?

The kids and grands moved here a few years ago and my wife dragged me along when she/we bought a condo. No flying back in Michigan until April so it’s not too hard to take being here until then. Eventually I can see being here year round as the twice yearly commute is a drag. But if the NW summer heat dome and wild fires portend the future, I will just stay a commuter until they take my drivers license away.