Anyone here living in an Airpark Community?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cblink.007

I think we found our dream property. 2200 sq ft home, built above a hangar, with a 2 car garage...and a paved, lit runway running right down the middle of the neighborhood! Not far from work, either! Only problem is that it has never been lived in, owned by the bank as a foreclosed, unfinished home, and likely needs a complete overhaul above the hangar!! We cannot wait to get a closer look at it! If doable and we can get it, the wife can have her castle upstairs, and I can have my lair downstairs. Can't get more fair than that!

So, is there anyone here living in an airpark community? If so, how have your experiences been? How long have you been living there? Given that we will likely be the youngest residents if this works out, how receptive are airparks to new neighbors? I know all experiences may vary...

We are understandably curious!

BJC

HBA Supporter
So, is there anyone here living in an airpark community?
Yes.
If so, how have your experiences been?
Excellent.
How long have you been living there?
11+ years
how receptive are airparks to new neighbors?
That depends on the established neighbors and the new people.

We welcome all newcomers, and almost all have fit in very well.

One recent newcomer couple moved here from another airpark, were welcomed by all, and invited to participate in some community events. After a few months, they opted out of all social activities, and have remained loners since. A clue should have been their announcement that the reason they left their previous airpark was that "everyone there was a jerk." Seems that they think that of us, now.

BJC

Last edited:

pilot103

I don't now but did 20 years ago. I could sit at the dining room table and watch the planes come and go. If you like to fly and build it doesn't get much better. having neighbors who share your interests was nice too.

Tom Nalevanko

All Airpark’s are different. Best would be to divulge your AirPark of consideration and solicit comment. But then someone might scarf the home up? Everything was bought at my AirPark in a few short weeks this summer. Crazy!

Best,

Tom
46U

www.alpineairpark.com

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Living on my airpark for 21 years. Expenses for us are low. Politics can ruin friendships. Understand how the property rights are structured (who owns the runway?). After living with my airplanes, there is no way I'm going back to a "normal" neighborhood.

cblink.007

Thanks all! This property is in Maryland; this one is definately a fixer-upper, as in a complete rehab. We have a friend who happens to be a contractor and engineer up that way who will be doing an assessment of it (since we are still in TX) this week to see if it is even doable. We are crossing our fingers!

Mcmark

Chesapeake Ranch Estates?
Many moons ago, I built a few of the hangars, additions and such in there.
Good people and active EAA.
I believe I know which house. Built the shade port next to it.
Best of luck.
Mark

Mark Z

There’s nothing better than going out the door, walking over to the hangar, then opening that big door and pushing the ride of choice out and rotating off fresh mown grass.......

Reactions: BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Five years now and love it! The neighbors are the best part of it, but we knew them from running 12 years of Young Eagles rallies before we finally found a place we could buy. It’s more like a family than a neighborhood.

Legal setup is important. We now have developers encroaching and trying to get the airport shut down and the common areas (runway and taxiways) forfeited to them, but our saving grace is that it has been in operation since 1946 and every homeowner also has a deeded interest share in every parcel of common area for dedicated aviation use (taxiway, runway, parking, etc). even though the developer has bought or been given some of this land, it still has to be maintained a for its deeded use.

Doran Jaffas

I think we found our dream property. 2200 sq ft home, built above a hangar, with a 2 car garage...and a paved, lit runway running right down the middle of the neighborhood! Not far from work, either! Only problem is that it has never been lived in, owned by the bank as a foreclosed, unfinished home, and likely needs a complete overhaul above the hangar!! We cannot wait to get a closer look at it! If doable and we can get it, the wife can have her castle upstairs, and I can have my lair downstairs. Can't get more fair than that!

So, is there anyone here living in an airpark community? If so, how have your experiences been? How long have you been living there? Given that we will likely be the youngest residents if this works out, how receptive are airparks to new neighbors? I know all experiences may vary...

We are understandably curious!
We recently purchased a place on Home Acres Sky Ranch Airport in Lake City. Different from yours, this airport has an easy west & north south pair of grass runways. 27 / 90 is lit with pcl.
Smaller place on a wooded lot with another cleared for a hangar that is planned for this coming Spring.
Right now it is a getaway with plans to retire up there for the Summers anyway. the people are extremely receptive in the fact that you are the youngest ones on your community I don't think will be any issue at all. As long as you have an airplane and love Aviation I'm sure you will be received just fine.
I hope this all works out for the both of you.

Attachments

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
We've been living in Independence OR for almost eight years. This is a big airpark with 190+ homes with all but a few having hangar and only a few non-aviation residents. The non-controlled airport is owned and maintained by the state. Very active EAA with large (10,000+ ft2) facility. Read the CC&Rs, ours are reasonable, but some can be over-restrictive. Be sure you understand who really runs the airpark and the impact on your lifestyle. For me it's the best place I've ever lived and I'm having a great time, but that's me and you and your wife have to figure out how you will fit into the airpark you're considering. This can get complicated if one of you isn't obsessed with aviation.

I would say that the restrictions imparted by the Covid virus have changed the situation. Hasn't effected me much, but I tend to be a hermit holing up in my hangar/shop. On the other hand, my wife's activities have all but shut down along with most of the EAA related programs.

Vince Homer

Wind&Water

My wife and I have owned property in four different Airparks. First two were vacant lots and one lot we still own since 2001. The one lot we still own has been very difficult to sell because of a lot of bad blood amongst neighbors, bickering and lawsuits. In 2009 we bought a house and hangar in an Airpark where at that time we were the youngest residents and most of the residents were retired. On moving in day we were greeted by golf cart after golf cart of the residents welcoming us to the neighborhood and many offering to help. Very social group of people who meet somewhere at someones hangar almost every day at 4pm. Our only issue with living there was the house we bought, while directly on the runway was blocked by the hangar. So unless you’re in the hangar we could only hear our neighbors taking off and not seeing them. Watching airplanes takeoff and land is something my wife and I really enjoy and one of the great things about living in an Airpark.

It was not financially feasible to tear down the house and hangar and then build some thing new so we bought a house at a neighboring Airpark two years ago. It is situated right on one of the runways. We have been doing a lot of renovations and finally moved in full time, but unfortunately right at the start of the pandemic so almost all social activities have been cancelled. We have met a few neighbors individually and all we have met are as nice as our previous Airpark neighbors and it is so nice to have that instant bond.

So my advice to you, is to go out to the Airpark you are looking at and talk to as many of the neighbors as you can find and have a conversation. You will learn a lot about the overall feel of the neighborhood. Enjoy!

Chris

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Farmer built a 1800' long grass runway so his flying son could fly in and visit. He decided to sell 1 acre lots to 12 of us that were old friends. Started a HOA and everyone has a membership and share in the HOA in their deed for the one acre lot. That was in 1995. The HOA bought land and extended the runway to 2600' and that made more runway lots on each side. Another farmer at the end of the runway sold us (HOA) more land so we could extend the runway to 3150' and clear about 100 large Pin Oak trees that was at the end of the 2600' runway. So now there are a total of 40 lots. Few full time homes and several hanger with full time and part time owners. 22 airplanes based here.
Before I was based at a country airport for about 20 years and paying the high hanger rent. Now no hanger rent, and the hanger is 90' from the house and the best part is walking out to the hanger and pulling the airplane out and flying and watching the sun set in the evening without having the long drive to the airport.
My wife and I are both 80 years old now and we decided to built a cabin on my daughters land out on a mountain ridge on her private road and behind a locked gate that is off grid, but has free NG from 2 wells. She has solar and NG generators with lots of electric power and a water well. We plan on living here a few more years and then moving out to the cabin that will also be on solar and NG that is close to my daughter and grandsons.

Ken Leonard

We looked at two communities North of Tampa area a couple of years ago. OK, maybe 10 years ago... we were a bit concerned with the first as many of the homes appeared to not be maintained. We looked at a second, smaller fly in community and it was in far worse shape. Not an elitist...don’t care if your trash cans are on the street overnight. But if the houses in the community have months old uncut grass and rot on the structures, the community is going to have serious issues paying the community bills like runway care. We bought on a lake 8NM N of TPA and fly a seaplane out of the back yard. I do wish I had the flying community social part but at least I know I can sell my house when the time comes.

PTAirco

My gripe about air parks is that the same I have with any HOA. Some are there for the benefit of the owners, others are there to let a few egomanics live out their dictator fantasies. I'd look very carefully into what you're actually allowed to do on your own property. Are you actually allowed to build stuff in your hangar? Weld, paint? I heard of some that will give you hassle just for changing your oil. Other are adamant that your house must look just like the rest and be of a certain size and no, you can't build your hangar first. Or live in an RV while you build your house. Lots of caveats.

Doran Jaffas

My gripe about air parks is that the same I have with any HOA. Some are there for the benefit of the owners, others are there to let a few egomanics live out their dictator fantasies. I'd look very carefully into what you're actually allowed to do on your own property. Are you actually allowed to build stuff in your hangar? Weld, paint? I heard of some that will give you hassle just for changing your oil. Other are adamant that your house must look just like the rest and be of a certain size and no, you can't build your hangar first. Or live in an RV while you build your house. Lots of caveats.
On another note...if you don't like them don't look at them. They're not for
everybody.

On another note, if you don't like them

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Take a look at Y91 or Gmail me at [email protected]
I bought some Ercoupe wings in the middle of January some where east of you about 45 years ago. Lots of snow, very, very cold and windy. I drove 24 hrs straight , up and back. Farm strip, drove my station wagon inside the barn, loaded the wings on the roof and left as quick as possible in front of another storm. You have winters.