Anyone going to the Reno Air Races

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Monty

Nuts!

I'm going next year I hope. My outlaws have friends that just moved to Reno and offered to put us up for the event...but it won't happen this year. It would be great to have faces to go with names.

Monty

orion

R.I.P.
Well, you could go to the public profile listed here and it would direct you to our company's web site. The company name is Orion Technologies but we won't be going to display - more like snoop and learn. We are in the midst of developing and unlimited class plane for a customer so we'll be there to more or less watch and learn. I've had two other planes racing in prior years but this is our first unlimited.

GlassVampire

Hey Orion, are you building a mod of an exisiting design (P51, etc.) or a brand new one-off design? Unlimited is my favorite class, next to the Jet class :)

Thanks for that vid Auto, I'll have to check that out when I've got the time.

steveair2

Log Member
I'm not a big fan of composite constrution, but I saw this one at Oshkosh this year. Very impresive. It's from Algie Aircraft and he plans to have a version for Reno. Probably not this year though. It has a turbo charged Corvette engine and his own reduction unit with a carbon housing. Also has a pressurized cabin. Plans on speeds of around 385 MPH. I think I'm starting to like composites a little better.

Attachments

autoreply

That looks pretty close to a Lancair Evolution.

I think the real future of Reno is in the Super sport class, not in the unlimited. With 650 cubin inches (that's right?) one can achieve speeds comparable to the unlimited class, at much lower cost, complexity and danger, not to mention those racers, destroying dozens of historical aircraft...

orion

R.I.P.
The unlimited class was created originally as a subset of the whole racing thing, accounting for the biggest airframe, which of course were WII fighters. While some of these airplanes are modified for the race, the vast majority are actually quite stock, being raced by their owners for the pure fun of it. As such, I'd say that the unlimited category is allowing these airframes to continue to have useful lives, rather than being destroyed.

As far as the future is concerned, you may be right. The problem though is that the Super Sport class does not allow for anything bigger so if one wants to race behind a Lyc IO720 or as in our project, two IO720s, the unlimited class is the only option. Besides, in the unlimiteds you do not have to show that you're in production. The Sport classes need to show that at least five have been built.

TFF

The 4500 lbs empty limit is pretty tough to live with I bet; you cant slip in with too dainty of an airplane if you are building one..

orion

R.I.P.
They actually enacted the limit after we started the project. Since our race weight will be around 4,000 pounds, the owner is going to work to see if he can get a waiver.

autoreply

They actually enacted the limit after we started the project. Since our race weight will be around 4,000 pounds, the owner is going to work to see if he can get a waiver.
I still fancy the idea of "real" watercooling, spraying water on your cylinder heads (in small amounts) and use the vaporization for cooling (and thus have less cooling drag)

Water needs 2.3 MJ/kg to vaporize. Assuming 600 kw of power and 25% efficiency you thus need about 1600 kg (3400 lbs) to provide all the cooling for a 15 minute run. 500 lbs could provide a significant part of that, especially at the most sensitive parts (hottest cylinders)?

I understood the weight is only the takeoff weight, otherwise, the above clearly doesn't work and my remarks are pretty useless :ponder:

matthass

Hi Guys,

wish I could join you there but...

Water cooling (eveaporative) - most all unlimiteds use ADI and a couple use boil off cooling for 0 cooling drag. Check "Peter Law filetype:pdf" in google, who has designed numerous cooling systems for successful racers.

I understood that the Super Sport had 2 classes. Up to 650cui and up to 1000 cui? There is a great video of Jon Sharp (Nemesis NXT) where he mentions the development of a 500mph racer?! Check "AMA jon sharp" on you-tube.

How about a new Formula 1 class - same rules but with Rotax 912 engines. It has become the "standard" for small aircraft as was the O-200 in its day. Being built in Europe we could start it there!?!?!

Cheers and dont forget to send in reports and new stuff from the races!

Matthew