Anyone fly in Aces High II?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

StRaNgEdAyS

Hey all, I recently discovered an online WWII flight sim where you can fly in combat against a whole WORLD full of other people.
The action is fast and relentless. Sometimes you need to shift bases when you spawn a new flight because you are under such intense bombardment you get fragged on the runway.:eek: The game file is free to download, offline, LAN and private online host gaming play is free while access to the public arenas is by paid subsciption (new users do get a free 2 week trial, but trust me, if you're into sims, you'll be soooooo hooked!). The offline play is pretty lame and is meant as a practice area I guess, but in no way does it prepare you for the intensity and ferocity of the competition in the main arena.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/
Oh, and to the Aussies, check out the largest landmass.... ;)
*singing*...."Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong...." ahh the partiotic pride! :D

Last edited:

cgwendling

I tried it for a month but I was sick and tired of getting fragged every 1.3 seconds. :rolleyes:
I couldn't even get ten shots off in an antiaircraft gun without somebody at 20,000ft blowing me to dust. :D

StRaNgEdAyS

I'm thouroughly addicted and I only found it yesterday. It took me about 3 hours solid campaigning to finally get a kill, but once I practiced I found I could get a kill or two and make it back to base. I've done my second day (no I'm not playing it all day :rolleyes: ) and I've managed to get a Bf109 and 2 B24's in one sortie. My best effort ever, usually I'm flat out making it into the fray before I get shot down.

StRaNgEdAyS

That depends on the mission, where you get to fly mission specific aircraft but if I'm not on a mission I usually plant myself in either an F4 or an F6 and fly off one of the carriers doing fleet defence work (sometimes overwhelming, sometimes just lazy orbits above the group but usually pretty interesting) Other times I'll jump in a different planes to do hit and run attacks on various targets or fly SEAD with some bombers. I occasionally put in some time as air defense on AAA if I happen to be at a feild under attack with no-one manning the guns.
Oh, you have a good choice of aircraft and other hardware to jump into. You can drive tanks from mobile AAA to Battle tanks, boats from the lowly PT to a Carrier, troop transports, bombers, and multi role aircraft. The life expectancy of a nOOb pilot is usually measured in seconds once the fighting starts, much the same as it was in WWII I understand. Only persistance and familiarity with the controls will get you scoring, the keyboard map is pretty hard to decipher but you can map lots of buttons and hat switches. The biggest thing for me is having just a basic joystick, I'll have to get me some pedals and a better stick, but I can manage for now.
The country I represent are the Bishops who are undoubtedly the underdogs.
The biggest baddies for us are the Rooks, who are much better organised and have a knack for recruiting talented pilots (and gunners, tank drivers etc.) into their ranks. I can sort of understand that,who want's to be getting their butt kicked all the time? But I like the challenge of being the underdog, and after all, it's a loyalty thing.
Gawd, I've only been playing this for a few days and I know all this already? Maybe I ought to get help...:p

Aviatrix

I tried playing a bit in a P40, but my joystick is so hosed it's not funny.

DO NOT BUY LOGITECH 3D EXTREME USB JOYSTICKS!

They have a nasty tendancy to drift their calibration to the left for the axis normally used for banking after a week or two.

So basically my Aces high experience consisted of holding full right stick to maintain level flight, and executing left snap rolls by sneezing.

Doing a search on their support site shows they have no clue how to fix this issue, or are totally unwilling to adress it.

Borrowed a Microsoft flightstick from a buddy of mine and hoping to spend some quality time with Aces High and Century of Flight tonight or thursday.

StRaNgEdAyS

I've got a microsoft sidewinder. 8 buttons and a throttle.
I used to have a Logitech Wingman Digital which I loved and it ended up having the same problem, no matter what game I used it on.
I have since found out that the joystick (it's pretty old, I bought it in '97) has compatibility issues with XP. They worked fine on 98 and Me (yuk) but XP does not like old MIDI/game port style gear.
It recognises it, but has a constant drift to the right.
I used to have a really nice HOTAS kit with 1000 buttons and three hat switches, really solid joystick and seperate stand alone long throw throttle, but my ex has it now:( That was the best virtual cocpit set i've ever seen.

Last edited:

HeliDev

Dude I hate you!!!!!!!!
Last thing I needed with my full time study and full time work was another distraction!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant get it to work properly yet, spent most of last night trying though:D

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I have an old CH Products joystick which has always worked great.