Anyone Familiar With Rejuvenator

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Mark Z, May 12, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 12, 2016 #1

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

I've got quite a bit of ringworm on my Champ and have been toying with the idea of rejuvenating. Would this require a new Polytone finish? Have any of you done this job?

2. May 12, 2016 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

MEK

3. May 12, 2016 #3

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

4. May 12, 2016 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

From the title, I thought this was going to be spam. ;-)

5. May 12, 2016 #5

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Rejuvenator is a dope with strong solvents added.
    It will almost work like any glue to seal the ringworm for about 6 months, then will crack again because cracks are from thick dope finish.
    Insstead, I would glue nice round fabric patches over the ringworm spots, if minor. Or recover, if major.

6. May 12, 2016 #6

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Used it a lot in ag world. Used to joke at the term "fabric rejuvenator" because the only thing being rejuvenated is the finish, as that's is what has failed. What has been said - solvent softens the finish so the imperfections can flow out while new finish coats are applied. How well it works is mostly technique. Have to sand most of the failed finish off or the failure will repeat in short order. Also requires lot of sanding with 600 and rub out when cured.

Poly tone rejuvenates fairly well, should not be able to tell a repair was done once complete.

7. May 12, 2016 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

If you read the instructions for rejuvenators, I would rather recover. I would rather remove the spot's paint and spot paint the areas. At worst you put a patch on and leave the rest alone.

8. May 13, 2016 #8

DanAtSpencer

DanAtSpencer

DanAtSpencer

Rejuvenator is a slow-drying blend of solvent and plasticizers that will make the old coatings supple and flexible again - but it won't change the appearance much.

To fix existing ringworm, get a brush and a quart of Poly Spray, and get some of the silver mud off the bottom of the can. Brush it into the ringworm and build up some silver. Now wet sand the excess silver until it is smooth.

Then spray with rejuvenator - mask off anything metal or plastic, and don't do it in really cool weather because the slow drying solvent can load the surface with vapors and risk popping glue joints.

After the rejuvenator dries, you'll have a nice, flexible coating again. If you want the coating to look new, you'll have to spray another cross coat of Poly-Tone on top. It's not a small job, but it's way less work and cost than recovering.

The drawback to rejuvenating is you don't get a chance to inspect the airframe, and it doesn't add any longevity to the fabric itself. If the coating have deteriorated enough to let UV damage happen to the fabric underneath, then the rejuvenation process will do nothing except put lipstick on a pig.

9. May 13, 2016 #9

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking... Just fly it.