Anyone deal with speeduino?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Evidently there is ECU developed for the Arduino chip. Uses the exact same programming interface, TunerStudio, so I'm thinking the same firmware?

Specs are a little lighter than Megasquirt, but its also half the cost. So far I have not read much bad about the system.

Anyone have and thoughts??

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Slower processor, if your planning on keeping the vvt and all sensors in tact on your Pentastar, I think a Megasquirt would probably be an advantage. If locking everything out and only running basic sensors it would probably suffice.

Hephaestus

Got one in the drawer all setup and ready to run on another TBI conversion... But we haven't done one in a while, old carb'd monsters are getting harder to find :dead: so no real practical experience yet.

FinnFlyer

Tracy Crook of RWS recommends it. Likes that it interfaces with Tuner Studio and is open source. Of course you'll need to modify the code if you want manual mixture control. And of course I'd double up on the hardware.
I was lucky enough to get an RWS EC3 board. I still have to program it (software is now open source) and run it in the RV-4 I'm building.

proppastie

Log Member
Might want a magneto for 1/2 the plugs if you are going to develop an ECU for an aircraft......There are proven electronic ECU for aircraft but they are not cheap.....careful here.

Flyguyeddy

Might want a magneto for 1/2 the plugs if you are going to develop an ECU for an aircraft......There are proven electronic ECU for aircraft but they are not cheap.....careful here.
The rv guys seem to be having good luck with the ford edis conversion setup and a megajolt lite to control the timing. Perhaps if the speeduino can control an edis with a SAW signal that would be the way to go.

proppastie

Log Member
The rv guys seem to be having good luck with the ford edis conversion setup and a megajolt lite to control the timing. Perhaps if the speeduino can control an edis with a SAW signal that would be the way to go.

The issue should be how reliable is it, is it difficult to program or easy to screw up the programming,,,,etc. The new Lycoming factory solution is a legacy mag and 1 electronic ignition which can be set up to go to advanced timing for certain conditions. The electronic ignition is almost plug and play but there is more to hook up than the original mag. (battery, fuse, manifold pressure,). More bells and whistles is not necessarily safer or better especially at 200 ft. on climb out.

TFF

The legacy mag allows Lycoming to beat the system and not have to send the engine through recertification. The other certified electronic mags have done this for certified.

TFF

Their on the same order as buying a new mag. More than a rebuilt one as long as you have a core.

A real independent test needs to be done. Once you have the timing advance, it’s essentially a single ignition system running the engine. Reliability is still duel, but flame front efficiency and detonation do change. Spark plugs are placed expecting two to fire the chamber. My Alfa Romeos have similar chambers. The racier ones had duel plugs To get the fuel to burn. My moms old 74 Grand Torino wagon, emphasis on Grand, had the 351 C two barrel; open chamber heads. Detonation city if it was not tuned perfect. The four barrel heads did not have the open chamber and did not have the same running problems.

The way I see these single ignitions is if you do fly 2000 hours you could go to your ledger and prove you saved money on fuel, just like lean of peak. If you are like my boss and twittle the mixture when the EGT changes 2 deg, you will be tuned in enough to complain you are burning a pound of fuel more. Everyone else, it would be better to put the $1500 in the fuel tank, because most are not flying if they have to spend $50, less $1500 to only see the value 2000 hours later. If 2000 is every five years, it’s worth it on the next overhaul, because it’s just around the corner. Twenty years, not worth it. My friends flying lean of peak with two electronic ignitions on their RVs can tell. But when they are at the pump, the price pain on their face is still the same.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
More bells and whistles is not necessarily safer or better especially at 200 ft. on climb out.
As no magneto engine has ever cut out at that altitude.

Come on guys, if your position is 'its not reliable' the you can't hold up an Lyc or Cont as your example. I'll take a solid state timing source over spinning metal any day of the week.

Seeing that a speeduino kit as almost as much as a Megasquirt 3 (calm down, I said ALMOST) I'd rather go with MS as I think finding a speed shop that has more experience with MS would be easier. The software being the same might help, but looking at the timing options on the Speeduino the MS has it beat hands down.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Interersting... I look forward to reading what you put up.

But you have a pretty high bar to meet. Megasquirt has a LOT of talent out there for me to rely on. I've found three local shops (with dyno) that will dial in a MS3 config for $500 (after I get base maps set and engine running).

Tunerstudio software is pretty good. I'm not really looking for an ECU that I can't tinker with. Also CAN bus is a huge deal. One reason I didn't go with SDS, there is no way to get real time data (via CAN) in/out of the box. If SDS would add CAN and then a dashboard for a tablet to make adjustments? YES PLEASE.