Quantcast

Anybody with hot wire foam cutting experience near Savannah?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

poormansairforce

Occasionally smooth, more frequently span-wise grooves, i.e., as if the wire had dug in to the foam. Based on comments above, our problem might be the foam. We have noticed pre-existing cracks in the foam, sort of like wood that has dried out and cracked.
Get a rectifier and a large capacitor so it has DC output and see if that solves it.

Lendo

The wire in Hot wire foam cutters can move around, for one reason or another. I use mine on Polystyrene for insulation of my Shed. The best foam cutter and most accurate is a wire about 1/16" thick with very small sharp protrusions, the wire spins and is extremely taught. It's a professional machine and quite large, but does extremely accurate fine contours.
I mention this as someone might be able to copy this idea on a smaller scale. Quite obviously the wire must be available commercially.
Hope that helps.
George

Lendo

BTW the best wire I've found to use in a Hot Wire cutter is SS tracer wire from Fishing supplies, about the thickness of the lower E string on a Guitar - just doesn't break and easy to bend.
George