Anybody Have Any Idea of How Many Experimental Aircraft Using Rotary Engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Southron

Does anyone have any idea about how many Rotary engines are in use in home built aircraft here in the U.S.? Does the FAA keep any records on this? What percentage of the Experimental aircraft fleet are powered Rotary engines, etc.?

Seems to me that IF a large number of Rotary engines were being used, then there would be a lot more companies selling PRSU units for the Mazda Rotaries.

THANKS!

P.S. Who does make a good PRSU for the Mazda Rotary engine?

Detego

Does anyone have any idea about how many Rotary engines are in use in home built aircraft here in the U.S.? Does the FAA keep any records on this? What percentage of the Experimental aircraft fleet are powered Rotary engines, etc.?

Seems to me that IF a large number of Rotary engines were being used, then there would be a lot more companies selling PRSU units for the Mazda Rotaries.

THANKS!

P.S. Who does make a good PRSU for the Mazda Rotary engine?

Lookup "Real World Solutions, Inc", they can answer your question and provide you with a Rotary Conversion Manual.

http://www.rotaryaviation.com/

Attachments

Lead Brick

If you haven't already found these sites, it may help to answer you questions. But as far as I know, there is no "official" way to know how many are out there.

!! FlyRotary !! <-----general list of things having to do with rotary. Proponents of the "pugs up" mounting of the rotary engine. Some old links, but might be of use to you.

Aviation Rotary Engines <-------David Atkins site. Been building engines for years for aviation use.

+1 on Tracy Cook's site in the last post. He's been at the Rotary game for years. The best available PSRU for rotary around IMHO, and he's worked out the electronics to control rotary engines as well.

SVSUSteve

Does the FAA keep any records on this?
Not that I am aware of. The only statistics I have seen are pretty much "turbine" vs "non-turbine".

What percentage of the Experimental aircraft fleet are powered Rotary engines, etc.?
You're probably not going to find a reliable answer to that from a source that doesn't have something to sell you (which should immediately make their 'data' even more suspect than it should be otherwise).

SVSUSteve

The last Mazda rotary engine has been built. Mazda has stopped production of the rotary.
...and there was much wailing, gnashing of teeth and ripping of clothes in the Auto-conversion-odox temples. ;)

(Sorry...as a Reform Jew, I couldn't resist making an Orthodox joke)

litespeed

So does that mean the RX8 is dead?

Not a big issue for most but a sad day for Wankel.

Southron

The President of Mazda said that they will be coming out with another rotary engine powered car soon. So, maybe the Mazda rotary isn't dead after all.

Tony

Did anyone see that little engine at Osh-Gosh last year. I have a pic somewhere of it. If I believe right it was a rotary. I never seen it run but they had a video of it and a breakdown. If I remember correctly the inside stayed still and the outer part of the engine turned, or something like that. I will try and find a pic of it. It was about the size of that wankel engine.

Tony

Group Builder