Any tips for a good used/starter o-scope

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
I'm going to be doing some electronics work on my plane and think a good o-scope would be helpful.

I used one in the Navy when repairing MDFs but those where $20k units that I have no need for.

Any tips/specs for a decent used o-scope for electronics (Arduino/megasquirt) work? Under $150-ish used preferred.

TFF

Ebay. Really good deals on used ones that have huge capabilities. If I need one, I borrow one from a friend who did that. Mine is from an uncle and was made in the 50s. Only good for Outer Limits title rolls.

Pops

Log Member
I love my Tektronix 475-A Dual Trace, with a built in Digital Multimeter. Government surplus, I would hate to pay what the gov paid for it.
My first one was a kit I built back in the 60's.
This is the one I have. Huge amount of probes, etc, and manuals came with it.

Last edited:

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Ahhh, many hours behind a techtronics 465B. Nice solid scopes.
For something in the $100 range check out “Picoscope”. You will need to use your laptop for a screen.

sming

The best bang for the buck was the Rigol DS1052 a 50Mhz that could be flashed with the 100Mhz firmware.
Don't know what they go for used...

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are some dirt cheap (<$100) digital scopes out there now.

Bill-Higdon

My go to scopes are Tek Sc502, Rigol SA1052 that the SN was "Bit Twiddled" to make it go to 100Mhz, the firmware is actually downgraded to allow this., Tek 545, and a Tek 7613. Best bet is to watch Craigslist also check out TekScopes groups.io Group for advice on which to avoid.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Sadly, CL has let me down again.

I'm pretty much set on Hantek HT6022BE20 2 channel 20Mhz

I really only need this for Megasquirt tuning so for the cost I think its the best option.

FinnFlyer

Rigol 1054 is a $300+ 4 channel digital scope.

Having been in and out of electronics for 50 years, I was stunned to learn about the capabilities of the units now available. I would imagine paying $10K or more for the capabilities of this unit 20-30 years ago. It will even decode serial streams of data on RS232, SPI and I2C buses!

But for general troubleshooting on a plane it's probably way much more than you need compared for what you can get for $100 or less.

Finn
P.S. Cost of probes are a significant cost. When comparing prices, include probes.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I know a couple of people that use one of these for field diagnosis, small and portable for use in a cowling, behind an instrument panel, etc. Great if you're trying to adjust a pot while on your back, feet in the air, with your head on a rudder pedal:

If you're looking for a logic analyzer, I was absolutely stunned by how well the $6 4-channel USB logic analyzers from eBay work. I was really not expecting them to work at all, or be flaky, but I now have 3 of them (home, work, hackerspace). It uses the free Salae software.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Evidently Yahoo mail is seriously behind, I got email from the CL o-scope they sent Monday, today. Hopefully I can get that one, as its pretty good for the price. If not I'll stick with the $60 USB 2 channel o-scope to start.

$300 is not realistic for a starter, def don't need 4 channels, 2 at the most. I'm just getting my toes back in the pool and don't need hundreds tied up in gear.

Derswede

Find the next "hamfest" in your area. Bought a two channel Hitachi with 8 probe packs in perfect order for $50 at one. Digital storage scope, works great. Guy was getting out of R & D and had too much equipment. Found two older but functional Aviation GPSs for $65 for the pair as well.

Derswede