Any tips for a good used/starter o-scope

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
I'm going to be doing some electronics work on my plane and think a good o-scope would be helpful.

I used one in the Navy when repairing MDFs but those where $20k units that I have no need for.

Any tips/specs for a decent used o-scope for electronics (Arduino/megasquirt) work? Under $150-ish used preferred.

TFF

Ebay. Really good deals on used ones that have huge capabilities. If I need one, I borrow one from a friend who did that. Mine is from an uncle and was made in the 50s. Only good for Outer Limits title rolls.

Pops

Log Member
I love my Tektronix 475-A Dual Trace, with a built in Digital Multimeter. Government surplus, I would hate to pay what the gov paid for it.
My first one was a kit I built back in the 60's.
This is the one I have. Huge amount of probes, etc, and manuals came with it.

Last edited:

sming

The best bang for the buck was the Rigol DS1052 a 50Mhz that could be flashed with the 100Mhz firmware.
Don't know what they go for used...

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Sadly, CL has let me down again.

I'm pretty much set on Hantek HT6022BE20 2 channel 20Mhz

I really only need this for Megasquirt tuning so for the cost I think its the best option.

FinnFlyer

Rigol 1054 is a $300+ 4 channel digital scope.

Having been in and out of electronics for 50 years, I was stunned to learn about the capabilities of the units now available. I would imagine paying $10K or more for the capabilities of this unit 20-30 years ago. It will even decode serial streams of data on RS232, SPI and I2C buses!

But for general troubleshooting on a plane it's probably way much more than you need compared for what you can get for $100 or less.

Finn
P.S. Cost of probes are a significant cost. When comparing prices, include probes.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I know a couple of people that use one of these for field diagnosis, small and portable for use in a cowling, behind an instrument panel, etc. Great if you're trying to adjust a pot while on your back, feet in the air, with your head on a rudder pedal:

If you're looking for a logic analyzer, I was absolutely stunned by how well the $6 4-channel USB logic analyzers from eBay work. I was really not expecting them to work at all, or be flaky, but I now have 3 of them (home, work, hackerspace). It uses the free Salae software.

Group Builder