Any Tailwind owners / pilots?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mcmark

Owner, but I haven't flown mine yet.
Hoping to hang the engine this weekend and work on the plumbing for fuel and brakes in the next couple. I'd like to fly it this summer.IMG_3468.JPG
Been a challenge. Had to rebuild the mount and install new gear. changing to a plenum cooling system and fixing the cowl.
I'll get there, eventually.

Doran Jaffas

Owner, but I haven't flown mine yet.
Hoping to hang the engine this weekend and work on the plumbing for fuel and brakes in the next couple. I'd like to fly it this summer.View attachment 96638
Been a challenge. Had to rebuild the mount and install new gear. changing to a plenum cooling system and fixing the cowl.
I'll get there, eventually.
I don't know why the picture of our side yard got posted LOL. I haven't only touched something wrong.

Mcmark

South of Annapolis MD.
It’s a W-8 with the new wing w/triangle tips and an O-290.

Doran Jaffas

Gotta like voice text. Need to proof read. That was supposed to say I must have touched the wrong picture.
I am east of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Based at KY70-Ionia, Michigan.
W8 with elliptical airfoil and triangle wing tips. 0-200 for pilot cooling.
Built by James Shiver south of Dothan, Alabama. Brought to Michigan in early August of 2018. I am extremely pleased with the performance of N625MS. Planning on going with a flex prop or electric in the not so distant future.

Attachments

Reactions: BJC

Mcmark

Harper Jack Webster is listed as the builder. 3 names that could be a first or last name.
The airplane has damage history and I found things that whomever did the repairs shortcut on. Hence the mount rebuild and new gear legs. Will not be an award winner but a faster means of travel.
Look forward to flying it.

Doran Jaffas

Harper Jack Webster is listed as the builder. 3 names that could be a first or last name.
The airplane has damage history and I found things that whomever did the repairs shortcut on. Hence the mount rebuild and new gear legs. Will not be an award winner but a faster means of travel.
Look forward to flying it.
Award winners are only award winners for about six and a half minutes after the first flight! 625 Michael Sierra is nicely built is also not an award winner but a beautifully flying airplane and one that doesn't look bad. One that I'm not afraid to take out of the hangar and get a few bugs on or grass stains or even a couple of chips here and there. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to hearing of your progress. If you give me the airport you're based at it might be a worthwhile trip for me to fly out there. Always looking for a place to go. Thanks for the response.

Doran Jaffas

Yes, there are at least two.

Should have added more data. W10 located at Brooksville, FL airport. Almost finished with rebuild.

View attachment 96677View attachment 96678
That is really sharp! Keep me posted. I have a friend of mine that I think lives down there not too far from you. You shoot me your airport identifier I can find out. be a long trip and I'd like to take a week or so just to allow for weather to go down there and back but it would be nice.
Doran Jaffas
KY70..Ionia, Michigan

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Should have added more data. W10 located at Brooksville, FL airport. Almost finished with rebuild.
Looking good indeed. Curious for more details. Engine appears to be an inline four with a geared PSRU. Please share...

Billski

BoeveP51

Spring Hill, FL - formerly W. Ossipee, NH
That is really sharp! Keep me posted. I have a friend of mine that I think lives down there not too far from you. You shoot me your airport identifier I can find out. be a long trip and I'd like to take a week or so just to allow for weather to go down there and back but it would be nice.
Doran Jaffas
KY70..Ionia, Michigan
Airport is KBKV, Brooksville, FL EAA Hangar is open every day.
Doran Jaffas
KY70..Ionia, Michigan
KBKV is airport, Brooksville, FL

Mcmark

It’ll end up at KESN.
I’m bringing it home from my shop at my dads. Doing fitment of the cowl at an off grid shop is tough.
Hoping to do that over the weekend.
Walking from the house into the garage will get more done than having to travel no matter how close.

Mike Stewart

Just for general Tailwind interest, bi-plane version built my Paul Hanson. Has a Jabiru 3300 that kept losing valve seats so Paul sold or gave the plane away in disgust (the engine annoyed him so much).

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

Just for general Tailwind interest, bi-plane version built my Paul Hanson. Has a Jabiru 3300 that kept losing valve seats so Paul sold or gave the plane away in disgust (the engine annoyed him so much).
I heard there was a biplane Tailwind built. I'm curious if the plans are still available for the lower wings.?? I would actually build a set and install them with my o200 to see how it performs. Plus, maybe I'm a little weird, but I like the way that looks! Thanks for posting those and again, any information out there on those wings I would really appreciate. I would buy a set of plans for those in a heartbeat.

wally

New to me W10. It has a Mazda rotary and Ross re-drive. I haven’t flown it yet. I had to put wings back on after trailering from TX. The hangar is an hour away and keeping 3 grandkids has slowed things down. It has about 200 hours on it.
Wally

Is this the one at Brown Field? KSDM
I think I saw it while poking my head in some hangars a while back.

Doran Jaffas

New to me W10. It has a Mazda rotary and Ross re-drive. I haven’t flown it yet. I had to put wings back on after trailering from TX. The hangar is an hour away and keeping 3 grandkids has slowed things down. It has about 200 hours on it.
Wally
Please keep me posted. That Mazda rotary has had me interested for years.