Quantcast

...any one you can walk away from

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Everything was fine while you were riding the green line. You should have stayed with that color, switching to red -- that's when the trouble started.
;)
Thanks for the details. You got a very good result, and obviously having a plan in your head to start with was key. Deciding not to try to horse it around to align with the perimeter road was a good choice.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Not intimately familiar with Sonex performance, but it seems that (unless it had a very coarse pitch cruise prop) it should have been able to climb a little higher in that full length of the runway, shouldn't it ??? On a hot summer day with a full load then maybe not, but I'm guessing it was not a hot day and it was below gross. So this raises the question... was it making full power until the failure happened? Did it accelerate and take off with the authority it should have?

BJC

HBA Supporter
I was too low to try and mess with the mixture, even for a second. If an engine quits when all the knobs and switches are in the right position, ...it's broke.
Some prudent use of flaps may have helped ...
Fritz, you did a great job of piloting. I’m not second guessing, but I am interested in a couple of data points related to the airplane.

[Some may recall that I have posted about the impossible turn. While I do advocate practicing it, starting at altitude and gradually working down once intimately familiar with the airplane and the technique, until a minimum altitude and airspeed for success have been established, I am neither implying nor suggesting that it would have been appropriate.]

What speed and altitude did you have at the high point, which appears to be roughly at the end of the runway?

Under the conditions at the time of the flight, what RoC does the airplane have?

What is the airspeed difference between Vs and Vy?

Thanks,

BJC

TFF

Doubt anyone could do better. Most turn and then stall spin. He kept it flying safe until he couldn’t. That is all you can expect. Most of the rest is luck of what is in front.

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
It wasn't your time yet. Good plane, good piloting and good luck all seemed to come together for you in just the right amounts :) Glad to hear the plane is easy enough to get back in order as well. All told, besides new undies and a less crumpled up seat cushion, you are good to go!

radfordc

How do you fix that leading edge ?
A local guy hit a landing light with his Sonex and dented the wing. He cut the dented part out and riveted in a patch. Seemed to work.

When I damaged my Sonex it was the wing LE near the tips that got bent. I removed the wing tip plates and hammered the dents out. Not perfect, but good enough.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
I will just add my voice to the chorus and say that I am relieved that you are ok, and you are able to share your Monday morning quarterbacking with us.

Also just want to take the opportunity to say that I really appreciate your presence on the boards, and that I have learned a lot from your generous sharing of knowledge and your boundless enthusiasm!

Hephaestus

Monday morning qb'ing.

You still did a **** good job. I think most by far would have gotten tunnel vision for the road and had a worse outcome.

Takes a good bit of airmanship to realize that's not going to work in a crisis and deviate to a less favorable surface. Most would commit to the road until too late.

I know doing IFR rating my instructor pointed it out a time or 3 - focused on a roadway I might not make instead of a field I totally could.

litespeed

No need for questions.

YOU did exactly as needed- Aviate, Aviate, Aviate.

Kept flying to the stop.

Perfect.

A few scratches and a tale to tell.

Well done.

galapoola

I remember my dad always picking out a spot to land. He made a game out of being on the lookout for large fields. He also did not want to ditch in the water so whenever we crossed the Long Island Sound on our way to Danbury (DXR) he made sure we climbed high enough to glide back to terra firma. His diligence paid off when his Hummel lost power at cruise one day. This 80 year old pilot glided himself down safely and lived to fly the plane the same day back to his airport. So my take away from his experience is keep updating your emergency plan as you fly and always keep flying the plane. Fritz kept flying the plane and it appears he had spots picked out for worst case engine out. Thank God for him and his loved ones, aluminum can always be hammered back into shape or replaced as many have said.

PiperCruisin

The voice of experience?

BJC
I can't say I have a ton of experience in off-field landings (I thought getting a glider add-on was great training). I did have a problem twice with an ultralight (belt slipped). There were limited choices for landing spots. But wings level, touchdown at slowest airspeed possible, and things worked out ok. As a CFI, there is nothing I fear more than a student stalling or spinning an plane trying to get to an ideal spot to save it.

Reactions: BJC

C Michael Hoover

Fritz, You did a fantastic job. By definition, you made a GREAT landing. Good is one you walk away from, Great is one where the airplane is usable again. You did Great. Trying to turn back at too low an altitude is what kills a lot of folks. Your airmanship is exemplary.

WBNH

Great job, thanks for sharing. And I'm glad the chapter is eager to jump in and hit reset on her.

An airborne Sonex is a terrible place to say "it's quiet...too quiet..." Hope you correctly diagnose and remedy the issue.

radfordc

Fritz showed us the right way to handle an engine failure. Here is the wrong way.... http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/02/accident-occurred-february-05-2018-near.html

"The airplane then departed. When it was about halfway down the 4,000-ft-long runway, the witness heard the engine lose power. He stated that there was no sputter or sound of a rough-running engine, "the rpm just decelerated." The witness looked up and saw the airplane about 100 ft above the runway. Instead of landing on the remaining runway, the pilot made an "aggressive bank" to the left and the airplane stalled and descended "straight down" toward the ground."