...any one you can walk away from

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
I managed to bend our chapter Waiex up a little this afternoon :(

I lost the engine at about 200' AGL over the departure end on the runway on takeoff. Fortunately I had enough time to pick a pretty decent place to put it down.

At a minimum it's going to need new gear legs and a lot of work on the wings. The motor mount looks good but the engine is going to need a complete rebuild. ...I don't know why it quit yet, we can't dig into it until the FAA is finished looking at it.
Waiex 20200228_151329_resized.jpg
Waiex 20200228_150848_resized.jpg

...it's good to have a friend with a boom truck and a big trailer (we used the same boom truck to pull the seat cushion out of my butt)
Waiex 20200228_175753_resized.jpg

Mcmark

Fritz, glad to hear things are as good as one would expect from a crappy situation.
Good job not balling it up.
As Rickles would say “you get a cookie!”

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Did the engine just stop or did it go rough first? And did you beat the "Miracle on the Hudson's" flight time? It sounds like was about 5minutes take off to landing. Also thanks for sharing. These stories are a reminder of what can happen.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Glad you are Ok.....I'm sure that caused a lot of anxiety.

If you could share with us later regarding the causation, we would certainly appreciate it.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Fritz, very glad to hear you got it back on the ground safely and that you're okay.

The Sonex planes seem to be pretty tough, hopefully this one isn't badly pranged and can made straight again. The titanium gear legs are reportedly quite challenging to bend back into shape, replacing might be preferable to repairing. On the plus side, they can absorb a lot of energy.
Thanks for sharing, best wishes.

Last edited:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Don't be too hard on yourself. You just happened to be the guy flying when the engine took a holiday. Glad you're down safely.

radfordc

That doesn't look too bad. As long as the wing spars are undamaged the rest of it is just sheet metal.

I made a bad landing in my Sonex the first week I owned it and bent a gear leg. A friend straightened the leg in a 50 ton press.

erkki67

Must have been a good landing as the bird looks repairable. Congratulations . It seams that you have multiple talents, being a top notch aircraft designer and builder and a top shot pilot as well.

Hephaestus

Thanks for not dieing. There's been too many friends/acquaintances lost this year. You walked away sheet metal is replaceable. All that matters.

And looks way better than the ercoupes impossible turn into parked planes that crossed my FB this week.

Pops

Log Member
Looks like you did a great job. Don't worry about airplanes, airplane are made everyday , people is what's important.

Group Builder