• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any official update on the "Batteries as Fuel" Issue lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraCar11

I have seen interviews where someone quotes a friend or contact who is "in the know", or is an official in the FAA or EAA, and say that it is 'DEFINITELY HAPPENING' soon. It will allow the equivalent weight of fuel as batteries, or the equivalent power of the fuel as batteries.

I have also heard quotes, and read pieces where someone in an official capacity says it 'DEFINITELY' will never happen, and rule organizations are against it.

Has anyone heard anything official or close to official lately?

I have seen video interviews of people with their aircraft at airshows giving their personal interpretation of the rules, giving them the room to ignore the battery weight in the overall legal weight of their aircraft. This allows them to make ultralight weight or LSA weight.

I would be interested if there is any ruling yet, or guidance about what will come in the future as "official".

Back