Any Legal Eagles ultralights in Connecticut

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gregr75

Hi,

Does anyone have this plane available to look at in Connecticut? or nearby. I love this design but am not sure if I will fit in it, 6'3", 200 lbs. I'm afraid my head might hit the underside of the wing.

Greg

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Greg, where in CT are you? I'm based at Chester, but I don't have or know of any Legal Eagles around. I did have a Kolb Ultrastar that I sold some years ago, that would have no headroom issues. There are a bunch of ultralights at Buell Farm in Eastford, maybe there's one there? Also Richmond Airport in RI.

P.S. Saw your profile, I too once was an engineer at Sikorsky, but I only lasted 9 months, they let me go as soon as my project was complete.

gregr75

I used to fly out at 3 wing at Bridgeport until COVID hit and I just.. kind of stopped flying. I never flew into Chester as PIC, the fact that one end was on the side of a hill made me nervous. Im looking at the LSA or even ultralight route because its cheaper. (maybe, lol). I've been making some phone calls but no answers, I may just take a trip up to the airport you mentioned, also I see Salmon River is a small airfield too. Only way to know for sure is go sit in one.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hah! Both ends at Chester are on the side of a hill, watch for the downdraft on short final.

You won't find any ultralights at Salmon River, it's an airpark community. There are a few at Goodspeed, though, and there were a few at Ellington.

JohnB

Hi,

Does anyone have this plane available to look at in Connecticut? or nearby. I love this design but am not sure if I will fit in it, 6'3", 200 lbs. I'm afraid my head might hit the underside of the wing.

Greg
If you don't quite fit there are7 tubes that support the wing that can be lengthened so you CAN fit, been done MANY times. John B

gregr75

If you don't quite fit there are7 tubes that support the wing that can be lengthened so you CAN fit, been done MANY times. John B
Thats excellent news! One more question, Im considering building this in my basement, which is partially underground. Do you think the welded fuselage will fit thru my Bilco doors? Its about 5 steps up to reach ground level.

A bare Legal Eagle XL fuselage measures 159" long by 45" high by 26" wide with no landing gear fittings or landing gear tubing. Figure 160" long by 50" high by 30" wide for a fuselage with gear attach fittings welded on but no other landing gear parts. Landing gear height varies a lot, depending on how the builder wants the plane to sit on its gear and what wheel/tire combination is used.

gregr75

Ok, thanks.
looks like I can get a 36" x 56" cross section rectangular "column" out the door, using the best angle. However, the 13 foot fuselage may force me at a non-optimum angle. Probably will have to test egress as I build....