• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any interest in a compact pusher biplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in a compact pusher biplane kit as described in this post?

• Yes, I'd be interested and would prefer the single-seat version.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Yes, I'd be interested and would prefer the two-seat version.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • No, I wouldn't be interested in either version.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Yes, I'd be interested and would prefer the single-seat version.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Yes, I'd be interested and would prefer the two-seat version.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • No, I wouldn't be interested in either version.

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Bear with me for a sec as I explain some free association....

Mike Sandlin's Bloop motorfloater + De Schelde Scheldemusch pusher biplane + MS.660 kitplane designed to be built on a 2 m x 1 m kitchen table = LIGHT BULB!

Bloop.jpg Scheldemusch.jpg MS660.jpg

The pusher biplane configuration lends itself well to designing a plane as a series of relatively small, managable subassemblies themselves made up of small components. No long wing spars or longerons, just short spars, struts, etc. This makes it easy to build in a spare room or other small workshop. There is even the potential of keeping all the components short enough for easy shipping through ordinary parcel service, not freight, to allow a kit to be shipped almost anywhere in the world.

I have in mind an 1835cc VW-powered single-seater of fabric-covered, bolted aluminum tubes: the aesthetic would be something like an updated and cleaned-up Scheldemusch and the performance would be in the microlight category rather than Sandlin's motorfloater. It would be handy to make the tail a simple three-tube triangulated affair that can be unbolted to leave the rest to fit on a trailer sideways when necessary, no need to fold or remove the wings. Classic VW designs--Clutton FRED, Stewart Headwind, Flaglor Sky Scooter--give us an idea of the modest performance to expect.

With careful design and a 2100cc VW engine it would even be possible to make it a two-seater, perhaps motorcycle-style like the Buddy Baby Lakes or cozy side-by-side like the Volksplane II. Four 8' x 3' wing panels plus a 2' span upper wing center section and lower fuselage make 108 sq ft, or 10 sq ft more than the Sonex. I would use a high-lift airfoil so, combined with the draggy airframe, speed would be quite a bit less though STOL performance would be better.

What do you think? Would there be any interest in such a design emphasing low cost, ease of building and minimal building space required rather than racy good looks or high speed? If yes, which one tickles your fancy, the single- or two-seater?

Let's hear your thoughts--I have my flameproof underwear on!

Cheers,

Matthew

Back