Quantcast

Any information on Zenoah G50?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Built2Fly

@sigrana, that matches almost exactly what I have. I have a set of 3-blade IVOPROP with my project. Each blade is about 28-3/4" from tip to mounting hole. The radius of the mounting hole circle is about 2-1/2". So the prop has a full diameter of 60".

20200920_113714.jpg
20200920_113923.jpg

The engine drives it through a belt reduction unit. I don't have the reduction ratio measured yet, but I would guess that it is the original reduction unit with G50. Yes, this will be installed on an ultralight Hiperlight SNS8 which I am building. I once watched a video on EAA archive. It says that the load is an important factor in tuning the 2-stroke engine. A lot of times what we think is a carburetor issue could indeed be a load issue. I think we are on the right track.

By the way, I tried to keep as much discussion here as we can. This is so there are some information left that can be shared by the people who might come at a later time with similar quests. However, I do want to respect your intellectual property. If you felt that there are information that should be left to a private discussion, we shall move to use email. Thanks a lot.

Built2Fly

@sigrana, a test email has been sent.

A question unrelated to the exhaust: The G50 uses two carburetors, one for each cylinder. Do people run it with two fuel lines / pumps, one feeding each carburetor? Or is it commonly done with one fuel line and a Y splitter? Sorry for the stupid question.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Shouldn't be any reason to use two pumps, hundreds of thousands of two strokes out there feeding multiple carbs from one pump. Lines just teed together. Disclaimer, I know nothing of the G50 in particular.

sigrana

Shouldn't be any reason to use two pumps, hundreds of thousands of two strokes out there feeding multiple carbs from one pump. Lines just teed together. Disclaimer, I know nothing of the G50 in particular.
Both G50s I owned (they were new) had a single fuel pump with a Y splitter andn it worked really well.

n3puppy

Also makes a difference what brand/style pump you are using.

Mikuni makes two general styles -
Rectangular Single outlet for single carb
Round dual outlet for dual carbs

Big difference in volume - 15ish vs 30ish liters per hour.
Rotax uses dual outlet round on twin cylinders like the 582

If you are planning on using a Mukuni pump - best to get a high volume dual outlet to be sure you have enough fuel flowing, especially during full throttle climb outs

56B11797-8DCE-480F-AC07-C4FC5FEF7E8F.jpeg6AD035BF-97F7-4236-AB65-D47CB402C309.jpeg

Built2Fly

That's great information. I am glad that I asked here.

I have a few pumps. It looks like one on the left is the low volume Mikuni (probably not enough to drive both carbs). The one on the right hand side is a Keihin that seems to have two out ports. Does anyone know about this pump? Where can I find a rebuild kit for it? Thanks.

20200925_152832.jpg