Any Experience w/ Click Bond Screw Grommets?

Discussion in 'Composites' started by wsimpso1, Jan 18, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 18, 2018 #1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi, wondering if anyone has experience with these products. If you have seen them used, your comments on how well they work, whether you would recommend them, etc, are all welcome. The grommets are simple little steel pieces that you use to line the recess in your parts where a flat head screw fits. In fiberglass access covers, they look like a great idea. My experience with screws in fiberglass parts has mostly been bad - holes in fiberglass on sailboats and store-bought airplanes always seem to be opening up. Where I see countersunk head screws on homebuilts, it always seems like an invitation to being torn up over time...

I have already been installing Click Bond anchor nuts and they seem perfect - broadly bonded to a fiberglass edges instead of trying to get enough pre-load but not too much with soft rivets.

Thanks,

Billski

2. Jan 18, 2018 #2

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

While I haven't used them, they look to be useful. HOWEVER, I will point out that to protect c'sunk screws in composites, a number of folks in the canard world have used these:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/nas549washers2.php

You c'sink the layup, install the tinnerman washer, then put 1 ply BID over the top. After micro/sanding, it's basically the same as the click-bond grommets, but at 1/10th the cost, it would seem.

BoKu, Tiger Tim and wsimpso1 like this.
  3. Jan 19, 2018 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have used them on composite cowls that I have built. Takes care of the problem of the holes enlarging and looks good. I'll be starting the engine cowl for the JMR in a couple weeks and I have a supply ready to use.

Tiger Tim and wsimpso1 like this.
  4. Sep 23, 2018 #4

BobH

BobH

BobH

Billski, did you end up using these grommets? We are looking at ways to rebuild holes that have essentially worn out in cowls and other panels and considering their use in a new build for the same application.
    Thanks,

Bob

5. Sep 23, 2018 #5

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Not yet. Bought them, but got into a whole bunch of other things in the mean while. Perhaps in late October or November I will get back to all the Click-Bond stuff.

6. Sep 24, 2018 #6

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

We use a lot of the Click Bond stuff at work. I will advise you to follow the prep and installation instructions so closely that you would make an ultra religious person look like a slacker. Be fastidious on cleaning the parts and the grommets, sleeves or nutplates, use fresh and correct cleaners and change gloves between cleaning and installation. When it says wait for a period of time, do it. Our biggest problem is people not adhering to the installation instructions or the process documents. Also, be sure you use the correct adhesive for the environment you are going to install them in. They make several different ones and it does make a difference.