• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any engineers here??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a design problem that I need help with. The airplane I am working on is a 2 place, high performance composite amphibian that looks like a cross between a sea ray and a lancair. For the most part everything has been thoroughly thought out and researched. The one thing that eludes me is how thick to make the fuse. Can anyone give me a reasonable method to come to this conclusion?? The cozy looks like it is about 1 3/8" thick (it probibly has a 1" core). Some aircraft appear to only have a 1/4" thick solid lay-up. (8-10 layers maybe??) Now, these are observations made from online photos, not in person. Being a composites tech for Northrop Grumman, I have the nessicary experience to build such an aircraft. The problem is that I am not an engineer, and lack the education to come to a reasonable conclusion on certain design aspects. They hand me blueprints, and say "here, build this". Behind those blueprints is an engineer that has already figured what is needed.

I have, however, designed model aircraft for 20 years. (mind you I am in my late 20's) The latest of my designs are giant-scale TOC birds that are all composite. Although they did not go to production, the flight tests were phenominal. Am I wrong in believing that I can use the same methods used on these 30-40% scale airplanes to design a full-scale aircraft?? Since I do not hold the sheepskin of an aeronautical engineer, I will read every book I can get my hands on about aircraft design/physics/aerodynamics.

I can design the wing, and test it for strength, as well as design the fuse. But how do I compute the required strength of the fuse?? What do I need to figure how thick it should be?? I need to know things like how many layers, core thickness, core type, stich, woven?? If someone could enlighten me on this, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Christopher

Back