Any Affordaplane builders here?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dee

The Affordaplane is a great little airplane, easy to build, and no problems, except for one guy that lost his plans n receipt and wanted a new set for free, started bashing the little plane like a child not getting his way. Plans are just $20, and he's still whining.
I think Affordaplane has close to 10,000 members now.
I am interested in the Affordaplane; However, I'm not able to find support or Affordaplane builders. I have emailed affordaplanestore.com and also affordaplane.com and got no response. Can you tell me if there is a support website for Affordaplane?

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
First, I suggest you go to www.homebuilthelp.com and find the video series that Jon Croke is doing on the Affordaplane. Jon does a GREAT job of explaining how to build the airplane, and he does it at the "beginner" level. Even if you have never built anything at all, his videos will help get you safely through the build.

ALSO, Jon would probably know about the existence of a website, FB group, or forum specifically for this airplane. We have had some Affordaplane discussions here on this forum, but those discussions centered on various opinions about the Affordaplane's design, safety, whether it was engineered correctly, etc.

Although some of us were not big fans of the A-plane, some of the people here are big fans of it, and I believe you should definitely participate in (or start) a new or existing forum thread here on this aircraft. The reason for this is that by participating here on HBA (in addition to any and all other A-plane forums or groups) you have access to a LOT of real-world knowledge, highly trained engineers, people who have built numerous aircraft, experienced pilots, etc. This group here absolutely will provide important and useful information - it's a resource worth a hundred million bucks that is yours free of charge.

I'm fairly new to this site and am building the Affordaplane (my first personal build). I've seen a lot of negatives posted and much of it is unwarranted. Seems like truth is hard to find. I'm an old hat with some experience behind me (former USAF with experience in both fighters and bombers, Chief of Engineering, Test Engineer, Avionics Engineer, Test Pilot, missiles, bombs, guns, systems, platforms, stealth, etc.). I don't usually say much, but felt compelled to chime in on the Affordaplane. It's open cockpit, low, slow, ultralight or LSA (depending on what you add). If built to plans, it meets 103. It's easily modified to suit the builder's desires. It's strong, fly's well, and meets it's intended mission. ... 3-axis, stable, low, slow, open cockpit, ultralight flying. ... the serious beef's that I see posted, are basically, "that I didn't like this or that, or I'd have done it differently, or other preference issues" ... not actual facts or flaws ... a simple structural analysis shows that it can handle above 4g's before stress points become a concern, which is well beyond the intended flight realm. I've both hosted and attended air shows, fly-ins and competitions. The only thing wrong with this little bird, is that your butt isn't in the seat, or your type of flying wants another mission.

don january

Supporting Member
There is over 20 videos on you tube on building the Affordaplane and I've watched a number of them and as a builder of an all wood aircraft I find it to be a simple aircraft to build "BUT" I see stainless steel rivets locking alum fittings together and spars look very light so if I was to build one I'd stay at the lightest Far 103 limits and hope for no wind.

There is over 20 videos on you tube on building the Affordaplane and I've watched a number of them and as a builder of an all wood aircraft I find it to be a simple aircraft to build "BUT" I see stainless steel rivets locking alum fittings together and spars look very light so if I was to build one I'd stay at the lightest Far 103 limits and hope for no wind.

A handful have flown in crosswinds up to about 10-12 knots. I learned to fly during the winter in Oklahoma and sure wouldn't push it much past that, but it's fairly docile below 7 knots crosswind, which is where I like to stay. But the nice thing is, with the A-plane you can land in a short enough distance to orient yourself to the wind on grass strips (dancing with happy feet).

I don't usually say much, but felt compelled to chime in on the Affordaplane. It's open cockpit, low, slow, ultralight or LSA (depending on what you add). If built to plans, it meets 103. It's easily modified to suit the builder's desires. It's strong, fly's well, and meets it's intended mission. ... 3-axis, stable, low, slow, open cockpit, ultralight flying. ... the serious beef's that I see posted, are basically, "that I didn't like this or that, or I'd have done it differently, or other preference issues" ... not actual facts or flaws ... a simple structural analysis shows that it can handle above 4g's before stress points become a concern, which is well beyond the intended flight realm. I've both hosted and attended air shows, fly-ins and competitions. The only thing wrong with this little bird, is that your butt isn't in the seat, or your type of flying wants another mission.
Exactly my love affair with the AP. I have not built it yet but I have owned a set of plans since Dave Edwards first come out with them in the early 2000's. I admire the AP for its simplicity. As in al things aviation the draw backs tend to be undesirable and the un-beloved use these as reasons to bash and trash. I think getting it to 103 legal is harder said than done but I am going to try.
Thanks for the quote Jim!
All done
Brett