• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another spar attachment question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBarron

I've searched the threads, learned a bit, but still have a question:

I'd like to use a wing planform with approximately five degrees of sweep, purely for aesthetic reasons, and am not sure about the best spar arrangement. I've thought of two options, and would appreciate some opinions:

1) for each wing panel, a main spar at 25-30% of chord, attached to a bulkhead or part of the fuselage that is at a five degree angle to the fuselage centerline. Or, same spar placement, but attached to a bulkhead that is perpendicular to the centerline using plates or straps that are bent to create the five degree angle. The root bending load is approximately 10,000 lbs.

or

2) a smaller spar at 25-30% of the chord pinned to the fuselage, and an additional one piece (through the fuselage) spar near mid chord, sized to handle the bending loads. If this were used, would the mid chord spar intersect the front spar at 50% or 75% of the span, or just end at some point short of the tip? I assume it wouldn't be required to extend to the tip because the front spar could handle the light loads in that area.

Thanks.
Fire away!
Leland.

Back