Another nail in the coffin...?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PTAirco

What I like about Aircraft Spruce is that they don't mark up items they had in stock and had purchased at a lower price in the past. You can see that reflected in the hardware and metals sections, where a foot of (making this up) 3/8 inch .028 wall may cost more than a foot of 3/4 .035 wall tube. I haven't met nor dealt with a more honest group of people in the 45 years I have been making cars, motorcycles and airplanes. They still have a few cases of Give-O-**** in stock, in spite of the fact that the EPA has ordered the substance off the shelves in the USA.
Really? Take a look at this:

Attachments

• 20220818_074439.jpg
    20220818_074439.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Bigshu

Supporting Member
As I mentioned earlier, expect this to continue for 5-7 years as we transition to the new normal and re-industrialize the US, CAN, and Mex.
It'll be worth it! Call it a national security premium. If it adds a couple of grand to a build cost, I bet the people who balk at that weren't going to finish a project anyway. The good news is that more orphaned projects will be available for sale soon.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
As to expense ....if one is to equate different costs per hour of fun it can give some perspective.....so looking at renting an aircraft at $150 per hour vs say building an RV at $80,000....if it takes 2000 hour to build the RV that works out to $40 per hour......much less than renting an aircraft......If you were to build a plans built with scrounged parts and core engine it easily could work out $10 per hour of fun or less.
Yeah, but that's a year of full time work. Nobody can do that, so it's realistically a couple or more years to build. Time is the limiting factor. I can rent spam cans for those years, and fly, or I can build something that might fly down the road and lose those years of building instead of flying. The equation is different for a 30 year old than a 60 year old. It's like the old saying: If you want to fly, buy. If you want to build, build.

Last edited:

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
So, J.L., tell me where you got this comparison between Sitka spruce and select yellow pine. Sitka prices are so high that you'd think it would at least be gold colored. But I AM interested in other suitable wood materials besides the "certified" stuff, and I do have a nearby Home Despot. BTW, I ain't too far away from you at 0TX6, Elm Creek Airpark.
Honestly, I don't remember where it's posted, but this should help...

Attachments

• FPL_R1079ocr.pdf
    12.9 MB · Views: 0

dog

bunch of stuff that I am experiencing that goes a bit against the grain
this year I got set up with on line advertising to do
metal fabrication,slow start but now I can not keep up and the back log grows
I get requests to do lots of things that are not metal related.
I get calls from workers looking for jobs.
There is a positive balance in my bank account.
And people are paying me,what seams to me to be a lot of money,thanking me and offering to
be references.
This is all new to me,six months ago I was stone cold broke.
I am still living cheap,ok realisticaly call it camping in a house,and have very low personal
overhead,no subscriptions ,just a phone bill,
house is off grid,wood heat,fix my own everything.
So I see realy good oportunity,and from this I hope to fund my desire to build and fly aircraft.
Lots of hints that "I could "get on with" X",but no,
this is a great market for anybody can organise
a bit and work.
I was getting eaten by the paper,but I found a trick,go out in the shop and just do anything
productive for an hour and then I dont care if whatever beurocratic goblydgook happens or
not,and they can keep there big fancy jobs.
Its nuts,they come at me with a big job,too big
realy,give em a big price and tell them I cant do
it now,and then they add MORE and say do it
when you can!,but add this,modify that,ressubmit
this form,and here is a pile of money to buy materials.
point is there realy realy REALY seems to be a lot
of demand and a lot of money ,crazy money for
my back country life and if prices are going up,
well,so are wages,especialy if you can organise and deliver

AdrianS

It's not just aircraft parts, and not just the US.
We're having to redesign some of our control system circuits because some of the chips we use are not available, and won't be for 12 months plus.

My hobby project is stalled for lack of a certain chip.

I have no blame and no solution, but it's a worldwide problem.

I was in the local hardware store Monday for the first time in 6 weeks or so.

They need an AED in each isle now :eek: 💗 💓 💔

$80 for a swamp cooler pump ?!? I bought the $40 version.
Found a 'deal' on a new shop 3 days ago. Asking price was only $220K for property the county has listed at $180K. By the time I had done due diligence it was under contract for $299K.
If this is the 'new normal' we have a bunch of adjusting to do. :confused:

Hawk81A

I am painfully aware of how much everything has gone up. (well, not EVERYTHING, my limited portfolio went DOWN:()
Real estate: down here, due dilligence means let the other guy buy it. Almost everything gets listed for XXX dollars, then sells for much higher than the listing. RENTING a place is next to impossible. Places come up for rent, and then there are 20 people "being interviewed to be possible renters". LITTERALLY: Dude got killed by is girlfriend last week (she resides in "the BIG house" now). People already want to know the address because there is a vacancy now. Thank God we paid our house off 10 years ago

kent Ashton

OTOH, I think some folks may be getting out of aviation due to the costs of gas, hangar and insurance, and selling out at good prices. This Cozy on Barnstormers today, a recent completion. High time engine but I doubt you can build one for the asking price. My thread on the canard sales: Sales I've seen

proppastie

Supporting Member
The one on rising costs making people mad and being the beginning of the end for homebuilding. Unless you realize everything costs more, so just keep on trucking.
Should be thinking "boom in homebuilding"
Traditionally high cost was a major reason for homebuilding aircraft..... however those were scratch builds.... not kits like today...