Another Experimental goes down

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter

Autodidact

A twin? There aren't very many of them (experimental twins). How do they know it was experimental? Was it amateur built? Was it a manufacturers test? The media makes a lot inaccurate statements.

SVSUSteve

A twin? There aren't very many of them (experimental twins). How do they know it was experimental? Was it amateur built? Was it a manufacturers test? The media makes a lot inaccurate statements.
That was my thought. I've talked to several of the reporters I know down there and none of them have any information so far on what the nature of the aircraft was.

And a Zenith 601XL in Ohio too... lets hope it didn't break apart in the air..

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...a/02_8060J.txt

Prayers out to all involved...

It wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
...I wonder how many car crashes the reporters drove past on the way to the accident site?

topspeed100

Banned
...I wonder how many car crashes the reporters drove past on the way to the accident site?
I was driving yesterday in Tampere and there was 100 car crash..22 injured. Lotsa snow and slippery weather surprised many....ATR-72 accident in Siberia did still top this car news here too.

orion

R.I.P.
Based on initial data soon after the first Seawinds started flying, there was a point in time where every Seawind built here in the Northwest had crashed (eight of them if I recall right). It does have unique handling characteristics and due to wing design and loading, reportedly has an abrupt stall with a sizable height requirement for recovery. Most owners I've known adamantly state that the airplane needs to be flown as a jet - power on and flown all the way onto the ground and up to the taxi way. It is very unforgivable at low altitude.

lawotschkin

.. sorry to hear that ..
as being on a weight shift route since a while .. looking at that SeaWind engine configuration - it is my understanding the vertical location of the CG in that design is critically high .. that really gets nasty in stall ("falling on your back") .. not to speak of spin .. the icon guys seem to have some issues on that as well .. so in combination with that engine pitch arm .. imagine an abrupt engine fail or sputtering at a strong power setting when its trimmed for cruise .. I guess it will pitch up immediately quite harsh without any thrust in the back .. combined with a slight slip / turn attitude I could imagine this could even lead directly into a spin at high speed .. has anyone here ever flown one ?
Daniel

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the Seawind isn't a twin... I'm guessing the newscritters thought so because the engine nacelle resembles the one on a twin?

-Dana

Mary had a little lamb. The doctor was very surprised.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Initial eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable. Even from generally soild people like first responders. If the reporters were relying on witness statements, then the odds of being wrong were very high. I was a reporter in a former life (too many years ago), and this gave me fits.

My general observation is that the first news reports of aviation incidents are more likely to be wrong than right. It usually takes at least a day for the reporters to get their facts in order. The first reports are usually only good for the "OMG, something terrible just happened," headline factor. I am not the least bit surprised that they were off in this case, too.

orion

R.I.P.
.. sorry to hear that ..
as being on a weight shift route since a while .. looking at that SeaWind engine configuration - it is my understanding the vertical location of the CG in that design is critically high .. that really gets nasty in stall ("falling on your back") .. not to speak of spin .. the icon guys seem to have some issues on that as well .. so in combination with that engine pitch arm .. imagine an abrupt engine fail or sputtering at a strong power setting when its trimmed for cruise .. I guess it will pitch up immediately quite harsh without any thrust in the back .. combined with a slight slip / turn attitude I could imagine this could even lead directly into a spin at high speed .. has anyone here ever flown one ?
Daniel
The Seawind apparently does pitch up with abrupt power changes and like all other seaplanes with high pylon mounted engines, the windmilling prop does a pretty good job of blanketing the aft surfaces at the same time. This makes recovery response a slow process (relatively). I haven't flown one (refused to) but I've known a few who have. In virtually every case, despite liking the design, all have concluded that at times it could be a scary thing to fly.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I'm sorry, but from day one, I've always thought the Seawind design looked scary... and that's just from initial impressions.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just proves that a pretty design (which the Seawind is) isn't enough...

-Dana

Of all the forces in the world, only the Federal Government has enough power left to destroy America.

dirk_D

Down in Aussie land it's been a bad week, last weekend the weather ranged from plain to yuck for the temora air show which is the big aussie experimental fly in. That sunday in overcast and failing light a couple perished in what looked like a case of 'getthereitis', probably tried to fly illegally by instruments i'm guessing. And today (wed 11th) we lost another, both were within a 150km radius of Temora.

A pretty ****ty week for aviation in oz!