Another cross country thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by davidb, Jan 26, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2019 #1

davidb

davidb

davidb

On or about February 10th, I’ll be ferrying my airplane back from Florida to California. Considering winds, weather and my limited string of available days, I may have to leave it somewhere along the way. Worse case, I’d leave it south of Dallas. Better, I’d leave it near El Paso. Best case, I’d make it as far as Phoenix. It could be weeks before I could then continue the ferry operation.

I have made this journey fro and to before with rather good fortune so I’m probably due for some bad luck this time. I’m mainly posting as a reach out for transient hanger space ideas. Right now I’m looking at the three cities above because I could easily get home and back to those areas commercially. Anybody here live near those areas with hanger availability knowledge?

I will plan and make calls as the journey progresses but I figured it would be good to pose this to the forum. Below is a screen shot of a likely route. Figuring an 85 KIAS cruise, I’m faced with over 30 hours of flying and seven or maybe less days of opportunity.

DCD0AD5F-B4DC-42B0-9335-C5096EFC5586.jpg

Topaz and Turd Ferguson like this.
  2. Jan 26, 2019 #2

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

fly2kads and davidb like this.
  3. Jan 26, 2019 #3

davidb

davidb

davidb

Wow, that looks like fun and the dates align with my ferry timeline. Do you have firsthand knowledge of this airfield and the event? It says they have an open hanger but not sure what that means. My concern would be safety and security, both during the event and after if I were to leave the airplane there.

4. Jan 26, 2019 #4

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

My son goes to the Arizona flying circus, say's it's a blast. On the internet flyer it says; For more info please call Mo Sheldon at 602-692-7995.

davidb likes this.
  5. Jan 26, 2019 #5

davidb

davidb

davidb

Pun noted, haha. A mix of guns, cannons, pyrotechnics, explosives, flying machines and courage altering substances; what could go wrong? Seriously, it does sound like fun but I wonder if there is some level of security and safety in place.

6. Jan 27, 2019 #6

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    I am familar with Mo and the event. Sounds like you are a fellow airline employee with transportation home. Text me for more info. 425 495 7946.

davidb likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2019 #7

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    "guns, cannons, pyrotechnics, explosives," Seriously, how much security do you need. I can assist with camping privileges and provide transportation to PHX if needed in exchange for aircraft storage and possible delivery to your destination.

8. Feb 10, 2019 #8

davidb

davidb

davidb

I started the journey yesterday and made good progress a with 20 knot tailwinds. Spent the night in Nacogdoches. That was a bit of luck and fortunate timing to make it that far. Alas, luck has run out. I only made it one leg to Palestine, TX today and it looks like I’ll be here until Tuesday morning. Low IFR followed by high surface winds will keep me grounded until then. It’s a bit of a complicated weather pattern going on across the Southwest.

I was able to verify that the automated weather observations look straight up ;)

9. Feb 11, 2019 #9

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Moderator Note: Moved this thread from Hangar Flying to Upcoming Events and Trip Reports, as it seems a better fit there. Left a 2-week expiring redirect in the original location.

Have a great trip, David!

10. Feb 12, 2019 #10

davidb

davidb

davidb

Thanks. As predicted, no progress today. IFR conditions will move east of me through the night and I’m shooting for a sunrise departure tomorrow. With the frontal passage I’m faced with strong headwinds aloft and surface winds possibly beyond my limits. I’ll have to pick and choose fuel stops with care as all stations will see shifting direction and velocity. Making it past Texas tomorrow will require superior skill and cunning. I have neither so I’l need luck and ForeFlight to get me through.

11. Feb 12, 2019 #11

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Good luck then

12. Feb 13, 2019 #12

davidb

davidb

davidb

I had some of that today and turned some bad luck into good progress. Ended up doing three, three hour legs. The last one was planned as a one hour leg to Carlsbad but the surface winds blew up a half hour out. Started fingering the ForeFlight and decided to push on to El Paso which had calm winds and trustworthy indications it would stay that way. It did. This is a view I wasn’t supposed to have today:

0E8B67F8-E1FE-490E-BFCC-DFCF8776F482.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to reach Blythe but the surface winds are forecast to blow up before I can get there. A bit more luck will be welcomed.

mcrae0104 and Topaz like this.
  13. Feb 13, 2019 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

If you need any support, rescue, nuts and bolts, etc. as you pass by the Los Angeles area I am located at Whiteman Airport KWHP.

eight one eight six three four nine seven six two

We're having rain and overcast now in the LA basin, I would suggest you pass around the eastern area through Palm Springs, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Lancaster WJF, etc. Be prepared to wait in Lancaster, your next stop after that is the Bakersfield area which may be solid overcast. When it gets overcast in that area it is overcast through the whole Central Valley and you could be on top of an endless layer of solid cloud down to 10 feet AGL.

Also, if it is cloudy and significantly windy in the Mojave desert, I would stay out of Mojave and Tehachapi. They get wave rotors and very unpleasant turbulence in the western Mojave Desert when frontal movement goes through there in winter time.

jedi, davidb and Topaz like this.
  14. Feb 13, 2019 #14

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I may have been mentioned and i missed it, but what type of aircraft are you flying this trip in?

15. Feb 14, 2019 #15

davidb

davidb

davidb

Yup!

I got a sunrise start out of El Paso this morning and made it to Blythe at 1pm. I was pushing pretty hard to make that happen. I probably had the opportunity to make Apple Valley but my body and mind weren’t up for it. I certainly wasn’t capable of handling challenges and could not think straight enough to analyze the weather moving in. Anyway, looks like I’ll be stuck in Blythe for a couple of days.

16. Feb 14, 2019 #16

BJC

BJC

BJC

I’m enjoying following your progress.

Since I retired, cross countries are more enjoyable. I now think of weather delays as an opportunity to explore another airport / town / restaurant etc.

BJC

davidb likes this.
  17. Feb 14, 2019 #17

davidb

davidb

davidb

It’s a SeaRey SLSA with the Rotax 914 (turbo). It’ll climb and go high but it flies at LSA speeds. Four hours of fuel. Like most LSAs, headwinds hurt and swirling surface winds tax one’s reflexes. I flight plan for 100 mph TAS.

Edit add: here’s pictures of what wind does. 9ED2E330-A652-4EB7-8C0C-4F37ED9829D3.jpg 4329E573-BF8F-4492-9FBA-EFCD1F1D5E75.jpg

That’s over a 90 mph ground speed swing. I change altitude to find the best compromise of TAS, wind, and turbulence. So far I haven’t had to accept less than 80 mph ground speed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  18. Feb 14, 2019 #18

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I've been stuck in Blythe for a few hours.

...was the longest week of my life!

19. Feb 14, 2019 #19

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Chiriaco Summit Airport is a worthwhile stop west of Blythe. The General Patton Museum is there right next to the airport, and a gas station right at the runway if your airplane can use car gas.

Stay to the north of Banning Pass if the wind is blowing westerly through there, really big headwinds AND sinking air downwind of the pass. Banning Pass is a venturi and amplifies the general westerly wind speed by 50%. My suggestion is to stay on I-10 until you are over the farm fields and "civilization" at the eastern end of Coachella Valley, then skirt the northern edge of the Coachella Valley and veer right through the lowest hills toward Yucca Valley airport.

In westerly winds (common), stay as far downwind of Mt. San Gorgonio (11,499 ft.) as practicable on your way towards Apple Valley. Basically I'd suggest taking a curved path to follow Highway 247 / Old Woman Springs Rd. instead of getting too close to the mountain.

After you leave Apple Valley and go through Victorville KVCV, make sure to squawk 1200 and let VCV know you are proceeding westbound. Whatever you do, avoid landing or loitering at either Gray Butte airport or El Mirage Adelanto airport. There's stuff down there you ain't supposed to see, and some nice folks down there at General Atomics will likely be watching you as you pass through.

If you happen to have reason to curve around to the north of Apple Valley a few miles, and you happen to see the town of Helendale, you might notice a triangular airport with a long tapered runway looking strip next to it. You really don't want to drop in, ain't nothin' but rattlesnakes there.

Krey airport is no longer being used, and there's meth labs and desert zombie type people around that area. El Mirage dry lake is a lot of fun to visit under other circumstances, but due to recent rain it is not a dry lake at this point, you'd be landing in some really nasty wet mud.

If you need a place to land in that area go to Brian Ranch (shown as Brian pvt on the chart), it is an active ultralight and LSA airfield. There are people there who are familiar with LSA type aircraft and might be able to offer help.

Lancaster / Fox Field WJF is a good place to get lunch, but it does get windy most of the time. Don't be surprised to see 25-35 kt winds.

If you see lenticular clouds (long smooth knife blades at high altitude) to the north and west of Fox Field, and it's cold & windy form the northwest, you might think twice about proceeding further west or north on that day... it's going to be an unpleasant and memorable ride.

If you happen to be headed northwest from Fox Field and are flying over a large area that is packed with hundreds of windmills, you might see an airport and some hangar buildings that is not marked on the chart, right where the little word "Antennas" is shown on the chart. It's not an airport and you are not welcome there at Northrop's White Oak RCS range either :)

Once you get over the hills west of Lancaster and into the Bakersfield area, assuming that you have VFR conditionss in Bakersfield, it will be a relatively easy flight from there back home.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/...of-the-mojave/northrup-rcs-facility-at-tejon/

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...test-range-looks-right-out-of-science-fiction

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/...ve/mcdonnell-douglas-gray-butte-rcs-facility/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Mirage_Field

jedi, Pops and davidb like this.
  20. Feb 14, 2019 #20

davidb

davidb

davidb

I’m pretty much stuck in Blythe until Friday or beyond. It’s too early to guess but the LA basin route might be better than the Lancaster route by the weekend. KWHP looks like a good location to make the jump to Bakersfield and beyond so I’ll look for you if I go that way.

Edit: I didn’t see your post above until I hit send. If I go the Lancaster route I’d top off at KTNP. From there I can overfly Lancaster nonstop to Bakersfield if I have less than 20 knots of headwinds. If I go the basin route I can make Redlands for fuel.