Another Ace Aviation - Redrive for Honda Silverwing. 50 hp 4 stroke engine.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

sming

How old is it? Is this related to the "new" (well almost 10 years already) NC700/NC750 engine from honda? It was rumored to be a half 1.4L jazz engine, and is very efficient (4L/100km on a motorbike!).

karmarepair

This engine in scooter usage has a stator mounted on the output shaft of the engine to generate the electricity needed to run the ignition and the fuel injection. All this business is integrated with the transmission on the scooter, which is obviously absent in this application. What does the installation on a trike use for a dynamo? Or do you just run on battery power, and plug it into a charger when done flying?

xwing

How old is it? Is this related to the "new" (well almost 10 years already) NC700/NC750 engine from honda? It was rumored to be a half 1.4L jazz engine, and is very efficient (4L/100km on a motorbike!).
from this
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Silverwing/Silverwing.html
Key Specs:
* Engine Type: 582cc liquid-cooled four-stroke parallel-twin
* Engine Power: 49.6 hp @7500 RPM, 37 lbs-ft torque @ 5500 RPM
* Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 71.5mm
* Compression Ratio: 10.2:1
* Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
* Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit, four-hole injectors
* Ignition: Computer-controlled fully transistorized with electronic advance
* Transmission: Automatic V-Matic belt drive

Jay Dub

For future reference, in the USA this model was the Honda Silverwing FSC600. It's the Silverwing scooter, not the old CX500 V-twin (Guzzi style) "cruiser" motorcycle from the early to mid 80s. Nor is it the Honda V-Twin industrial engines, although he does make redrives for those too. This is the 50hp parallel twin scooter engine which is intriguing. What is also intriguing is that it is a 582cc engine...it must be a sign it's for aviation use!

Ken Powell

Does anyone know how much this 600cc parallel twin weighs? I would guess about 100 LBs but would like to know for sure.

sming

Can't find anything with google nowadays, there is a webpage somewhere with the plans for psru. I found 43 KG for the naked engine, it's used in paramotor trikes?
Says 65KG here with psru:
Found it! Paratrikes are the guys : Engine |

Vigilant1

65 kg/143 lbs for 50 HP? Plus the radiator? Paratrikes says 70 kg (154 lbs). That makes an 1835cc 60 HP VW look pretty good, the weight would be about the same.

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Wow, that's a lot heavier than I would have imagined for 50hp. I like the fuel injection as you don't get carb ice but I don't like the liquid cooled weight. I also looked on ebay and you can find the engine by itself but I haven't seen one with the fuel injection system, radiator, exhaust (even though you'll have to hack it to make it tidy), wiring harness, etc. Seems like you almost have to buy a complete bike to get everything you need to make it work right.

I'm thinking it would be lighter and cheaper to go the Briggs 993 with a few hop ups from their 40hp marine engine (cam, valve springs, etc) and using a single or twin mikuni carb setup.

Last edited: