Quantcast

Another “help me decide” thread.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

NOLA

My daughter and her husband used to have a Piper Colt converted to a tail dragger powered with a Lyc - 320. Fun airplane . Floats ?
Pops, what kind of stall And landing speeds are they getting out of that colt?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This gives me a ton to chew on.

The PA22-108 colt tail dragger seems a good platform to build up as the drawings are available and use a USA 35b Airfoil and spar spacing etc.
I also see a few wagabond builds using colt drawings/dimensions with balanced tails, etc. One in particular was a beautiful build, it was featured on experimental aircraft channel about a month ago. Red and white. I think the company is taildragger enterprises?

Whew, and I thought narrowing down race car and off roader builds were hard!

Thank you to everyone helping out.
When you've done the trade study and come to the inevitable conclusion that the PA-22 is the perfect basis for this mission (just as SCORES of people have done over the years), give me a call. I can hook you up.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, what kind of stall And landing speeds are they getting out of that colt?
I flew it a lot but been a few years ago. Like any short wing Piper, keep the approach at or above the high sink rate. Maybe 75 approach speed. Don't remember the stall. The problem was watching the speed to keep it below VNE. Colt has a lower VNE than the Pacer or Tri-pacer. (less ribs in the wings).

Pilot-34

Amphibians may surprise you and how good a bush plane they are!
Don’t let the low stance fool
you .

Remember the propeller and it slipstream are quite high so they don’t blow gravel and debris into the propeller wings hole or tailfeathers
often they can land in the water and then gently taxi up onto a gravel bar other planes couldn’t handle
Not to mention a lot of them have landing gear but doesn’t fully retract so you can mount some rather large tundra tires on it if your heart desires
I believe the Thurston Keel is a close sibling to the lake buccaneer

rv7charlie

Need to get serious about mission limitations. A lot of the stuff mentioned isn't going to fit in LSA limits; at least not carrying two people.

245 lbs for an Lyc O-320 is fantasy world stuff. The hotrod Cub clones with Lyc clones installed are typically using the IO340, which is purpose-built a *lot* lighter than a typical O-320, and the rest of the airframe will have heroic (dollar$) efforts to lighten it to make meeting the LSA limits possible.

The Bearhawk Companion uses the stock 4 seat Bearhawk fuselage. Should make a great, comfortable, super capacity 2 seat plane, but meeting LSA limits might be a tall order.

I *think* that the Wittman Buttercup can be built (and spec'd by the builder) to fit within LSA specs; might be worth checking on it. Steve designed some nearly miraculous planes, but you need to be of somewhat limited stature to fit comfortably.
Wittman Buttercup - Wikipedia
WITTMAN BUTTERCUP | Aircraft Spruce

If you're not a Kitplanes subscriber, IMO it would be well worth the subscription price to access their archives to find the most recent all-airframes issue; usually published in the fall/winter each year. Lots of designs consolidated in one place, to give an idea of what's available.

Charlie

NOLA

Took the weekend to really think about it and talk it over with the Mrs. The compromise shall be seating arrangement. So now the bearhawk lsa is on the table.

Thanks to everyone that has thrown their .02 in, it’s really helping a ton.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Bearhawk LSA is a great choice. Christavia Mk 1 also worth a look if you want build something traditional from scratch. If you ever change your mind about the seating, a Pober Junior Ace meets LSA criteria and could be a nice poor man’s bush plane.

WonderousMountain

Huge fan of the StaggerWing,
The Wag-a-bond fuselage, and
Thought I'd throw in the HyperBipe.

What could possibly go wrong?¿?

Last edited: