Announcing SoFIS - An Open Source EFIS

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

raumzeit

Not interplanetary, but...

Phonesat

Originals
Yeah there's good anecdote-type stuff consumer-com and chips hold up well down under the Van Allen belts just from all the personal gizmos astronauts bring, at least on astronaut mission timescales. Interplanetary space nastier. Mars surface itself not much of an upgrade radiation-wise either. I'd guess consumer-com holds up pretty well though; an interesting question.

For homebrew avionics, if I could think of anything preferable off-the-shelf in consumer world for genuinely more reliable than typical stuff it'd be using Optane memory for SSD on the computer - whatever the computer platform.

Last edited:

pfarber

I get that this is a pet project (that has been done hundreds of times) and everyone gets all teary eyed at what they think is high tech in action.

But none of you are going to contribute, and even less will fly this in an AC as there are already things that do this.. better.

None of you are seriously going to put your multi-10's of thousands of dollar AC in the mercy of an rpi and $20 chinese IMU.

Yeah, I know, I'm a meany... I'm stating the obvious. How mean of me. I'll be fine if you exclude me from your drum circles or group hugs.

How about a HUD, or head tracking for a headset mounted display? That would be a step forward.. and also much harder than using a 3PL to draw on a screen.

Its free advice from someone that is not afraid to say that the king has no clothes.

raumzeit

How about a HUD, or head tracking for a headset mounted display?
That is a great question. A vario + ADI + attitude HUD in a glider would be awesome. It also something one doesn't have to build entire instrument for - just have to render output from some already-existing instrument onto a new display.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Here is something that I've wanted to do for years and I decided that a covid lockdown was a good time to start: sam-itt/sofis.
I get that this is a pet project (that has been done hundreds of times) and everyone gets all teary eyed at what they think is high tech in action.

But none of you are going to contribute, and even less will fly this in an AC as there are already things that do this.. better.
p, all you do is criticize what others are doing.

Why don’t you share with us what you are building or designing, what engine you are flying, and make a positive contributing to HBA?

BJC

Aerowerx

I get that this is a pet project (that has been done hundreds of times) and everyone gets all teary eyed at what they think is high tech in action

Could you give us some examples? If it has been done hundreds of times do you have a list?

And why build a plane at all? Since there are already things that do that.

None of you are seriously going to put your multi-10's of thousands of dollar AC in the mercy of an rpi and $20 chinese IMU.
Of course, but what about multi-1's of thousands of dollar AC?

And the OP is not designing an autonomous self-flying flight control autopilot system, where the person is just so much cargo. The pilot flys the plane, not the machine. the SoFIS just provides information.

Yeah, I know, I'm a meany... I'm stating the obvious. How mean of me. I'll be fine if you exclude me from your drum circles or group hugs.
No one made you respond, or even read, this thread.

Samuel

Unfortunately that aircraft is destroyed in storm in the mean time, but now we are building 2 seater
experimental, which can be nice platform to test with your EFIS...
Sorry about that:/

Yep, that's a good idea. You "just" need to integrate a 1000 NITS in your panel and you're good to go.

I'm currently working on the AHRS, I've good results with a BNO0808, the code will be updated on github soon. The next phase is to integrate a menu system to get navigation (i.e setting waypoints/flightplans) working. Doing that will also add the needed infrastructure that will allow to implement traffic on the map. I've already added support for Stratux but I'm just only using the AHRS+GPS info at the moment. Once I've done the layers, it'll be possible to get ADS-B reports drawn on the map.

Don't worry, the project will continue at least for my own needs :)

Samuel

This is a pet project, you are right. I'm not doing that one professionally and I'm giving it out for free. Is it rocket science? No. Is it high tech? Neither. Is it useful? I think so. Been done a hundred times? Maybe, however I couldn't find one and thus I set out to do it. Can you point us to one?

This project isn't ground-breaking or anything. Building a house is not hard, it's just 2x4 nails and screws. Anyone can do it, and yet vast majority of people are paying for it.

It's a visual aid, not a Tesla drive-me-home. Nobody never claimed that SoFIS can help you flight IMC. People use apps on their iphones and androids. As @trimtab pointed out, where are the wrecks and the bodies?

Keyepitts

I'm interested in this, mostly for the engine monitoring side, and I hope you keep developing it and keep us updated with progress reports.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)

How about a HUD, or head tracking for a headset mounted display? That would be a step forward.. and also much harder than using a 3PL to draw on a screen.

Its free advice from someone that is not afraid to say that the king has no clothes.

Differing viewpoints is good for the soul. So I will give you a virtual hug. As Voltaire once said, " I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight (and die) for you're right to say it".

Yellowhammer

Orange4sky

Making grand pronouncements about what other people will or will not do, or about the final results of projects that no one can predict makes me think you may be looking in the mirror. It’s too bad you were not Woz’s or even the Wright’s neighbour. You could have saved us all!

looking forward to seeing what you come up with Samuel! Hopefully this thread will stay on track and you find some interested enthusiasts.