Quantcast

Anniversary of Orion's death yesterday

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rtfm

Hi,
As many long-time members on this forum will remember, Orion (Bill Husa) was one of the forum's brightest lights. Extremely knowledgeable, generous with his wisdom, yet extremely patient with newbies. My wife used to say that if Orion said it was OK, I could fly my design, otherwise, no way. He was a forum treasure. Sadly Bill died of skin cancer and I for one miss him terribly.

Does anyone know which year Bill died?

RIP Bill.

Regards,
Duncan

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
Gone, but not forgotten. I thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with Bill and had he still been with us, a project that we were collaborating on at the time could have been flying by now.

Here is Gumbo, his Reno racer. I know it was being parted out a while back but I hope someone gets it flying.

6EDDAB9D-5D6D-4C44-B694-2617767117C0.jpegD8988223-A231-43FC-A3ED-2EE9B0C4933B.jpegEE6C5877-17C9-45F1-9156-F6C7CD1C3B81.jpeg

Victor Bravo

If one of the "design by committee" airplanes we have discussed here on HBA ad nauseam (VP-21, Piojo, etc. etc.) ever makes it off the ground, I think it should carry Orion's name on it somewhere. The concept of people offering their assistance and knowledge across the internet, to help some other airplane dreamer, is something he contributed greatly to.

Last edited:

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Wow, I wish I had been around on the forum while he was posting. What a gift to be able to go back and read his contributions here.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
He had a wonderful gift for teaching without someone becoming defensive about their "pet idea." He wasn't always successful - some people just want validation, not actual help - but more often than not, he could get someone onto a better track without them taking it as a personal attack. This above and beyond a huge fund of knowledge in the field.

Really miss having him here.

simflyer

Hi,
As many long-time members on this forum will remember, Orion (Bill Husa) was one of the forum's brightest lights. Extremely knowledgeable, generous with his wisdom, yet extremely patient with newbies. My wife used to say that if Orion said it was OK, I could fly my design, otherwise, no way. He was a forum treasure. Sadly Bill died of skin cancer and I for one miss him terribly.

Does anyone know which year Bill died?

RIP Bill.

Regards,
Duncan
I also had that luck to exchange "few" e-mails about aerodynamics, airfoils and enjoyed it. Bill was born here in Czech, so we sometimes wrote in our native language. Husa in czech means goose. Next US living czech, who left his footprint in aircraft design, is Romuald Drlik, canards designer , with Falcon canard UL and XP. Many UL and LSA planes exported around world are/was designed and produced here Zlins, Blaniks, L200 Morava, L29 Delfin, L39 Albatros, Merlin, SD1, Bristell, NG4, Savage, Stream, Dynamic, VL3 ...

SlowFlight

Have been reading here a long time. Came to read and reread Orion's writings among others, and have given much thought to these things. So much has been questioned, I've had very little need to question anyone, and wished to gain knowledge without incurring, additional writing. So one day, my search came up with a post that he was sick. Then I learned of his death. I found myself feeling a great loss had happened, but it was already 2 yrs after till I knew at that time. I'm grafeful to see this memorial. I hope that his family, who may have found him busy a bit, at least know in part how much his gift was valued.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... I hope that his family, who may have found him busy a bit, at least know in part how much his gift was valued.
For what it's worth, the forums sent two complete flower arrangements to his funeral services, funded solely by donations from members. One was from the forum as a whole, and the second was specifically from international members, who wanted to highlight how much Bill had influenced and helped homebuilt enthusiasts all over the world.