Anderson KingFisher Float Planes

Discussion in 'Bush / Float flying' started by Manion, Jan 12, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1

Manion

Manion

Manion

Are there other owners in the forum or any others building any, would enjoy hearing from you.

2. Mar 5, 2011 #2

Airwolf1

Airwolf1

Airwolf1

Manion - I have had the plans, boat hull frames, and water rudder parts for a number of years for my
    Anderson Kingfisher. Now retired, its time to build it. I am looking for a set of Piper tripacer wings to
    use and a Lycoming 0320A2A (150 hp). Do you still have your Kingfisher?

3. Mar 5, 2011 #3

craig saxon

craig saxon

craig saxon

Could you use the wag aero plans to build the wings? There is a yahoo group but it's not very active.
    Anderson-Kingfisher : Anderson-Kingfisher
    Craig

4. Mar 5, 2011 #4

Airwolf1

Airwolf1

Airwolf1

Craig,
    I suppose you could. The plans do not give a specific airfoil, but I did see a website detailing the type airfoil used. I just
    did a search with the airplane name. WagAero wings are similar to factory built Piper Cub wings. I am intending use of
    the Piper Tripacer wing as it is all metal and stronger.

5. Mar 5, 2011 #5

craig saxon

craig saxon

craig saxon

I'm pretty sure, although someone will correct me if I'm wrong, Wag used to offer plans for a pacer clone. If not, they do supply parts for most of the high wing pipers, including I think, pma'd metal spars, fuel tanks and ribs. Probably worth contacting them and sounding them out. I think Wicks offer parts too.
    Craig

6. May 8, 2011 #6

Nate

Nate

Nate

I have a set of Pacer wings, looking to sell. They're in great shape, ready to be recovered. Going with the Alaskan mods, so I wont need the wings I've got.

7. May 8, 2011 #7

Nate

Nate

Nate

I'm also looking for drawing #10 for the Anderson Kingfisher. I have a complete set except for #10.
    Thanks

8. Jul 15, 2011 #8

puddles

puddles

puddles

Hi manion, I have a kingfisher, It had a weel down landing 10 yaers ago. I have rebuilt it over the larst 4 yaers. Im just learing ta drive a computer. so will try ta get a pickture up in the next day or so! cheers. puddles

9. Jul 20, 2011 #9

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a Kingfisher project here in Eastern Ontario, Canada. I've had a set of plans for many years but decided to get a head start by acquiring one which has many usable parts. I look forward to intereacting with other owners and builders on this site.
    Cheers,
    Ken Potter
    Lanark, Ontario

10. Aug 9, 2011 #10

john55555

john55555

john55555

2 x Kingfisher restorations just starting in the Orkney Islands in Scotland, I will post updates.

O236 now rebuilt and Polyfibre covering about to be applied. It will be ready for flight in March next year.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  11. Aug 25, 2011 #11

littlepele

littlepele

littlepele

Hello,

Im look for either a Anderson Kingfisher Project or plans does anyone know where I can get either of these?

regards

12. Aug 27, 2011 #12

Heavy Iron

Heavy Iron

Heavy Iron

Hi Ken,
    Are you buying the one that was built out west but has never flown? I went to look at it early in July but it needed far more work than I had time for. I kept looking and found a Volmer Sportsman project that I should be able to get flying before the snow hits us again.

Good luck,
    Ron

13. Sep 20, 2011 #13

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Hi Ron,
    Yes I bought it but for very little money. In fact, the Piper Cub wings were worth more than I paid for the entire project. It was not as advertized and in fact I believe that it was built in the US and somehow re-registered in Canada. It appears to be mid 1970's vintage. I'm looking for for a new fuselage and have located one nearby in Ottawa. And btw, the Volmer Sportsman would have been my second choice for an amphib "flying boat"
    Cheers
    Ken

14. Sep 27, 2011 #14

Heavy Iron

Heavy Iron

Heavy Iron

Hi Ken,
    Certainly it had a lot of good parts included and will give you a great start especially if you can find a well built fuselage to go with it. I got the Volmer trailered home from Saskatchewan on Labour Day weekend so now the fun (and the work!) begins. When it's flying I will eventually be coming over to visit your neck of the woods as my brother has an RV-8 hangared in Smiths Falls.
    Ron

15. Oct 3, 2012 #15

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Hi Ron,
    I found a newly constructed fuselage just east of Ottawa for $ 1,000 Now in the process of putting the plane together.

Ken

16. Jan 24, 2013 #16

C-90 Cub

C-90 Cub

C-90 Cub

I am restoring an Anderson Kingfisher.

I also have another project that hasn't flown that has the fuselage built 90% of all the metal fittings including all the tailfeathers and a set of plans to go with it. Has a little hanger rash but a well built airplane. If anyone is interested let me know.

Steve Trutschel

strutschel@live.com

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  17. Feb 11, 2013 #17

super sportsman

super sportsman

super sportsman

I know the one you bought how is the project going now any pics would like to see and what engine you using

18. Aug 26, 2013 #18

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Ken Potter

Hi, the new fuselage is very high quality as are the tail feathers that came with it. I started on rigging the vertical and horizontal control surfaces last winter. Looking at eliminating as much weight as possible from the plane. The basic plane I have has a CoA (it is the one built by Conrad Steward, taxi tested but never flown). I'd like to go with the original 0-290d, but if I can lighten it up enough will look at the 0-320. Between the two planes I have enough parts for a new one with some to spare, probably for sale. This will probably include an entire set of fuselage metal hardware.... Cheers, Ken

19. Sep 4, 2013 #19

skydad

skydad

skydad

I built a Kingfisher and sold plans for it for several years after Earl Anderson decided that his hearing had gotten so bad he couild no longer communicate with folks. Don't use the Tri-Pacer wings. It needs more wing than that. There were drawings in the plans that Earl had and that I sold that were for a wood spar & rib wing. When I built mine, I bought a set of metal spar blanks from Univair. I had several old Tri-Pacer wings that I used the ribs & hardware out of to build up my wings using the spar blanks. My plane has a 150 Lycoming with a Sensenich 74DM52 prop. The engine was mounted 2" higher than the plans call for because of the longer prop. I Used an 18 gallon Piper gas tank in the right wing along with the nose tank which was 22 gallons. I built a door on both sides and used Cessna 150 seats with the extra stuff on side of the seat frame removed. I made a wooden base and mounted seat tracks on it so my seats were adjustable, otherwise, it is about like trying to get in the front seat of a J-3 Cub. Empty weight is 1125 lbs and I used 1800 lbs for gross. I am 6'2"+ weigh close to 300 lbs and with a full nose tank and a 160 lb. passenger it would get off the water. Cruise - 90 mph. I sold the design rights & master drawings to a guy in Kentucky, I think it was, and they have been sold several times. The last I heard, someone in Maine was selling plans for it. It is a very forgiving good flying airplane, but you must keep it light. Copy the J-3 rudder outline to build the rudder for it. That extra balance area over the fin makes it fly like its on tracks, Otherwise, in bumpy air, it will tend to yaw and not straighten up unless you straighten it up. I underrstand the Volmer Sportsman did this also.

20. Jul 26, 2015 #20

hfbarber

hfbarber

hfbarber

I am parting out a Kingfisher (350 hours on plane) and have landing gear, tip floats, nose tank, tail feathers (balanced type), adjustable seats, etc.