• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Analysis of Takeoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionraice

Ok so I'm just thinking on my keyboard here and I would be more than happy if anyone had any corrections...

So I want this plane that has these proformance characteristics:
Stall Speed: 26-28 mph
Cruise Speed: 60 mph
Takeoff roll: 200 ft
Landing roll: 200 ft
Climb rate: 400 fpm

You have a field like this which faces ESE with winds that generally come out of somewhere between South and Southwest.
Field1.jpg

Lets also say our conditions are ideal (everything performs to the stats above and there is no wind)

1.) So our plane takes off from the west side of the runway (left) travels 250ft and lifts off the ground (50ft extra for good measure).
2.) Since we want to know if this craft can clear the trees at the end lets assume the worst case the craft is traveling at full cruise speed as soon as it leave the ground.
Now we are traveling at 60mph and climbing at 400fpm (cause we are near sea level) with 500ft befor we hit a tree!

How long till we hit the trees?
(60miles/hour*5280ft/mile*1/3600 seconds/hour)=ground speed in feet per second= 88fps
500ft/88fps=5.68seconds
So if we dont pull up we hit the trees in 5.68 seconds.

In that same amount of time how high can we climb?
(400feet/minute*1/60 minute/seconds)=rate of climb in fps=6.67fps
6.67feet/second*5.68seconds=37.86feet
So it turns out worst case is that we crash into the trees about 12 feet shy of the tops and most likely die so it looks like we wont use that feild for taking off or we need a better rate of climb.:(
Looks like i wont be getting a fisher avenger...

Back