• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

An unorthodox seaplane hull, modell tests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himat

I do draw, design, build and fly model aeroplanes when time permit. Here is a few pictures of a winter project before taxi tests.
View attachment 23500View attachment 23501View attachment 23502

After posting some pictures in the “How many of you guys fly RC Planes too?“ thread, I do chose to answer the question in a separate thread.

What does it look like after taxi test?

The taxi test did go well, in the sense that I learned something of it!

Due to faulty weight estimate the plane did sit lower in the water than designed. At low to medium speed water displaced by the main hull hit the aft outrigger mounting tube. This threw spray into the prop. Above a certain speed this was no problem as the forward main hull then out of the water.

The airplane accelerated tracking straight and with no large change in trim angle with speed as designed. Visually, there is no indication of a pronounced “hump” speed. As the plane accelerate it lift gradually out of the water.

One trait emerged, when slowing down the forward part of the outriggers on two occasions did dig in and the plane “ground looped” or “broached” depending on if you use aeronautical or nautical terms. I suspect the rigging angle and lengthwise placement of the outriggers caused this.

At the time the model is on the workshop table and some modifications carried out. If there is interest and no objection, as this is a model airplane, I will try to update with more information as the testing do progress

Back