An argument in favor of multi-engine design

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
It seems to me that something along the lines of the Dornier Do 335 Pfeil would be the simplest. Dornier Do 335 Pfeil.jpg
Put a VW in the front, and Rotax or MZ in the back.

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
It seems to me that something along the lines of the Dornier Do 335 Pfeil would be the simplest. View attachment 56021
There's also the Bugatti 100 replica, similar design but the concept has twin engines turning one prop.

Ladislas-de-Monge-in-Tulsa-June-2011-Scotty-Wilson-photo.jpg

cance2.jpg

This twin engine is interesting, if one could build it as a pusher only aircraft. Kind of like a stretched version of the BD-5.

760e27463ace01ffe90243383893d77b.jpg

Steve C

From what I read, it sounded like it could not survive full power so they accepted a reduced setting as 100% and gambled on it staying together for one last flight.

CharlieN

It is somewhat frustrating since 400hp from a turbocharged Hayabusa is not into any unreliable range.
I do not know if the clutch that failed was the factory clutch or an overunning clutch in the aircraft gearbox, but the Hayabusa engine and transmission will withstand power in the 900hp range, proven at the Daytona shootout recently. This obviously is not with all factory internals but I run a 380hp Busa motor in a road course car with an all stock internal engine. That includes a stock clutch. No issues.

Pilot-34

How much do wing mounted engines increase drag ?
What improvement is a engine buried in the wing with only the propeller and spinner exposed compared to the usually seen engine mounted in front of the wing?

Victor Bravo

Wing mounted engines could possibly reduce the overall drag of the airplane under some conditions, compared to the DO-335 layout. If the engine nacelle and wing fairings are done right, it can be pretty clean. See DH-98 Mosquito for example.

Pilot-34

I agree that is one of the cleanest installations I’ve seen. Yet that still looks like almost the same amount of drag that you would get building two more airplane fuselages and hanging them on the wing.

Chilton

If the engine nacelle and wing fairings are done right, it can be pretty clean. See DH-98 Mosquito for example.
On the de Havilland theme, look at the installation on the DH 91 Albatross, the V12 Gipsy engine blends right into the wing.

Pilot-34

Has there ever been a airplane with a fuselage mounted engine driving two or more wing mounted propellers through drive shafts ?
Sort of a mechanical “ blackfly” idea?

Reactions: dog

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
It seems to me that something along the lines of the Dornier Do 335 Pfeil would be the simplest. View attachment 56021
With modern hybrids you could move the cockpit up for much better view, and have the engines mounted rear. Would greatly improve access to the cockpit as well, as you could just have a side door.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Has there ever been a airplane with a fuselage mounted engine driving two or more wing mounted propellers through drive shafts ?
Sort of a mechanical “ blackfly” idea?
Yes, I believe some designs after WWI. I’m thinking some sort of seaplane but I’m not entirely sure. I also know there was some huge multi engine thing that ran two props per engine using belts.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
flying-wing-15169195654gkn8.jpg
Edit--oops, I see the question was about a single engine driving multiple props.

Last edited: